Memory Problems

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
In my computer i have 512 Dual Channel DDR PC 2700 (2x256).

Now i want to upgrade to 1024, but im not sure if i can just buy 2 more sticks of 256 or do i have to buy special dual channel stuff to keep the dual channel ability on?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
First, there is no such thing as "dual channel memory", its a sales ploy meaning you have a 'matched pair' of ram. However, some motherboards can use two sticks of ram at the same time, hence dual channel.

Now, you will find that you'll only have the use of two slots (there are usually only three slots anyway), so, that means a new 'pair' of memory sticks if you wish to 'upgrade' ... now the rub is, the gain, using dual channel will at best offer a 3-4% increase in efficiency/speed as apposed to single memory, but hey, if you got it, use it.

Actually I don't see any point in using 1gig memory if your not going to be using it ... by that I mean what programs will you be running. Remember, a CPU can only do one job at a time, maybe you need a faster CPU?

Save the money for a 64bit system. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Depends how many RAM slots you got onboard.

Take a look in the motherboard manual, it will tell you if you can use four sticks in dual memory mode.

If you can, it's obviously a cheaper option.

I can use four sticks of memory in dual channel mode on my Gigabyte boards.

As for one gig of memory, when I upgraded from 512 to a Gig, I definitely noticed an improvement where it matters - just in everyday use. The machine was definitely a little 'perkier' for want of a better expression.

And Video processing was a little faster and smoother. I've read lots of people comment on how a Gig of Ram can improve things, it certainly did for me.

But right now, memory is expensive, which is a bit of a shame.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well my processor is fast enough, thanks^^ (2.8Ghz P4)

But games like Chrome and Far Cry are very hungry for all the ram they can get there hands on!

My Mobo has 4 memory slots and can take upto 2 gig.

And i aint wasting my money on a 64-bit processor, cos theres nothing to take advantage of them yet! Maybe when they come down in proce and some 64bit games are out then i will.

P.S : I hate to be a burden, but none of you answered my question!

Do i need to buy special ram marked dual channel ( e.g http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=4004&GroupID=0 ) or can i just buy 2 sticks of the same make?

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
With an FSB clock of 133 MHz ... :rolleyes:

OK, I won't argue ...

P.S : I hate to be a burden, but none of you answered my question!
First, there is no such thing as "dual channel memory", its a sales ploy meaning you have a 'matched pair' of ram.
... just buy any pair of memory sticks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
P4 2.8 is either 533Mhz or 800Mhz (that HT business)

Mines the 533, and me memory is 333 (PC2700)

I have no idea what you meant by the 133, as DDR starts at 266.

But ty for answering the question.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
266 is simply 133 x 2, which is what it is, it's a dual thing, something to do with signals being recognised on both the leading and trailing edges of each pulse, I believe, but we won't go into that here ;)

Dual memory is sold as matched pairs, for which you pay a premium. But I've used like pairs, not matched, and they work just fine. The difference in performance, if any, is eensy teensy weensy weensy, or, in common parlance - small.

So, to answer your question, you don't need 'special' memory to run dual memory capability. Spend a little more on a matched pair if it makes you feel better but in my experience it makes no real difference.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Cheers Floppy :)

its just i've seen so many of these dual channel packs about, it can be very misleading. if i can im gonna try and stick with the make of my ram (if i can find it!), so its completely matching.

Thanks for the help dude.

Ask a Question