Memory Leak Constantly!..

Vista User

Mike said:
He seems to have a bad case of NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome- if *he*
didn't think of it, then it *must* be wrong.

Mike

Yup others have tried before to show him the truth and it simply has gone in
one ear and out the other.

Swingman said:
"Laurahuk wrote in message

RAM, or is it your hard drive space disappearing?

If the latter, it is probably System Restore and Shadow Copies. You can
disable these functions, but it is discouraged. Open up the Help file and
type in the above phrases to read up on what this is about.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Its my actual hard drive space.. not the ram.... god these two above really hant stopped bit'chin and its about the wrong thing by the looks of it!...
my actual hard drive memory is loosing memory... i thought that it maybe
down to system restore.... ill have a check now...

i use norton ghost to restore my hard drive so i preume it will be ok to
just disable vista restore if possible...

If these arnt the problem what else could it possibly be?...

Swingman said:
"Laurahuk wrote in message

RAM, or is it your hard drive space disappearing?

If the latter, it is probably System Restore and Shadow Copies. You can
disable these functions, but it is discouraged. Open up the Help file and
type in the above phrases to read up on what this is about.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I think the problem has been resolved... ive just turned off the system restore which has deleted the automatic system restore points.. giving me over a gig more that i had lost... so i presuming that these automic restore incremations were the problem... thanks for your help guys..

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Sure, but I'm not wrong here. Caching is a time-tested method
for speeding up computers. We've had software disk caches,
hardware disk caches and CPU caches for years. Are you
claiming that all of these are bad ideas?

Caching works. It works because the penalty for a cache miss
is vanishingly small compared to the huge benefit of a cache
hit.

Sure, you can create a scenario (or write a program) that
creates more misses than hits by randomly reading data from all
over the drive. But in the real world, people don't work that
way. They tend to load up the (more or less) same stuff every
day.
<snip>

AFAICT the difference of opinion centres on the cost of freeing up
memory when all memory that would otherwise be unused has been
speculatively filled with cached data. If the cached data is not
'dirty' - which SuperFetch stuff should be - the cache content can be
simply discarded; there is no need to write it back to disk. The cost
involved is thus only that of clearing some entries from whatever
data structure keeps track of the cache usage.

Vista User

Adam Albright said:
?

I understand that people that insist on using 'we' when speaking for
themselves have little basis for the argument they are trying to make
thus their foolish need to imply they are speaking for others to
bolster their weak position. ;-)
Yes WE understand. You don't.
Why do they put Cache on CPU's? Why do they put Cache on Disk Drives?
Its for the same purpose as using your memory to Cache.
You will just never admit your wrong.

Swingman

"Laurahuk" wrote in message

Also, Right click on the drive and chose "Disk Cleanup" ... you can probably
regain more real estate there. I've gotten to where I do this every few days
with Vista, as it chews up hard drive space at a rapid pace.

Bill Yanaire

Adam Albright said:
That is the promise but not the reality. I use two large applications
constantly, Photoshop and Sony's Vegas. Neither load instantly. My
guess is Vista is first removing big chunks of what is currently in
RAM to make room for them. So so-called super-fetch seems more hype
than fact. Ditto for Agent, my news reader. First application I fire
up in the morning, yet it doesn't load "instantly" either and it has a
small footprint where it could using your logic always be in RAM. It
obviously isn't.

Hey Adam,

I was reading your post and you mentioned that you use Sony Vegas software.
I am a new user and have some questions regarding Vegas. Is there a forum
that you go to or somewhere I can ask you questions (other than this forum)?

Thanks

Bill

Mike

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow said:
AFAICT the difference of opinion centres on the cost of freeing up
memory when all memory that would otherwise be unused has been
speculatively filled with cached data. If the cached data is not
'dirty' - which SuperFetch stuff should be - the cache content can be
simply discarded; there is no need to write it back to disk. The cost
involved is thus only that of clearing some entries from whatever
data structure keeps track of the cache usage.

Yes, exactly. Some people are unaware of how caches work, and how fast
it is to discard cached stuff.

Mike

Mike

Adam Albright said:
That is the promise but not the reality. I use two large applications
constantly, Photoshop and Sony's Vegas. Neither load instantly.

If they were cached they would. How much RAM do you have?
My
guess is Vista is first removing big chunks of what is currently in
RAM to make room for them.

Your guess is wrong. There are no "big chunks" of memory to remove.
Stuff is simply overwritten.
So so-called super-fetch seems more hype
than fact. Ditto for Agent, my news reader. First application I fire
up in the morning, yet it doesn't load "instantly" either and it has a
small footprint where it could using your logic always be in RAM. It
obviously isn't.

Agent loads so fast for me that you can't even time it.

Mike

Adam Albright

Hey Adam,

I was reading your post and you mentioned that you use Sony Vegas software.
I am a new user and have some questions regarding Vegas. Is there a forum
that you go to or somewhere I can ask you questions (other than this forum)?

Thanks

Yes, there are several. Sony has it's own in house forums, first link
below. Creative Cow is a hang out for a lot of professionals with
forums and how-to articles on just about all the video editing
products, there are others including how-to sites too. The last one is
all in Flash.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/default.asp
http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sony-vegas-media-studio/
http://forums.digitalmedianet.com/c...wtypeid=&openclose=&startdate=&enddate=&dire=
http://www.crossfade-forums.net/Flash-Tutorials/main.swf

Adam Albright

Sure, but I'm not wrong here. Caching is a time-tested method for
speeding up computers. We've had software disk caches, hardware disk
caches and CPU caches for years. Are you claiming that all of these
are bad ideas?

That's called using a fallacy. Say something you pretend the other guy
supports just so you can try to disprove what he didn't say. Come on
Mike you can do better. ;-)

DanS

Which takes fraction of a second.

It's not a "theory" - it's a fact of how Vista operates. It's one of
the reasons that it runs faster than XP.

You do mean that programs may load faster right ? Not run faster.

Adam Albright

He seems to have a bad case of NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome- if *he*
didn't think of it, then it *must* be wrong.

Mike

I could list at least a dozen recent examples where somebody claimed
something only to have it disproved with FACTS.

Like Gary and his news server claim on how they propagated posts.

I don't recall even once anyone DISPROVING anything I said that I
haven't or couldn't back up with facts. What's wrong with this
newsgroup is too many posters try to elevate their OPINION to fact.
That's foolish, but common. Like saying chocolate ice cream is BETTER
than vanilla or pizza with pepperoni is better than sausage. Those are
not facts, just opinions like saying Western Digital hard drives are
better than Seagate. Factually anyone would have a hard time proving
any of those claims, but it falls in line with some people always
saying Windows is better than Linux or Mac's OS. Each has it's only
strengths and weaknesses. It DEPENDS what you use your computer for!

Vista User

Adam Albright said:
That's called using a fallacy. Say something you pretend the other guy
supports just so you can try to disprove what he didn't say. Come on
Mike you can do better. ;-)

"Caching is a time-tested method for speeding up computers." How is that a
fallacy?
"We've had software disk caches, hardware disk caches and CPU caches for
years." How is that a fallacy?

You just can not admit when you are wrong.

Adam Albright

Yes WE understand. You don't.
Why do they put Cache on CPU's? Why do they put Cache on Disk Drives?
Its for the same purpose as using your memory to Cache.
You will just never admit your wrong.

Nice strawman based on the LIE that I don't understand how a cache is
suppose to work.

You guys are simply too easy to argue with. Maybe you should hire some
8th grader that likely would be better able to counter what I say or
at least give it a creditable shot...unlike you.

Mike

Vista User said:
"Caching is a time-tested method for speeding up computers." How is that a
fallacy?
"We've had software disk caches, hardware disk caches and CPU caches for
years." How is that a fallacy?

You just can not admit when you are wrong.

Yep. I'm done talking to him.

Mike

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

RAM filled with things you don't need means Windows FIRST has to
flush that memory and bring in what it DOES need to do what you
asked of it.

Nope. There's no need to flush memory that has been pre-loaded
speculatively, it can be simply discarded as it is not 'dirty'.

Michael Solomon

In addition to System Restore, your swap file will grow as well. The more
you are doing, the more that is opened the more it will grow. The system
also uses the swap file for its needs and those needs can grow depending
upon what you may be doing at a given time and that is regardless of how
much physical memory you have installed on your system.

Memory leak is a term usually ascribed to "physical memory," the ram you
have installed on your system. The hard drive is a storage area and the
swap file is known as virtual memory. If you had specifically stated you
appear to be losing space on the hard drive, we might have been able to more
quickly diagnose the issue tell you what was going on. While the hard drive
can be termed memory and often is, in situations such as this, a little more
specificity helps.:)