Memory chips to take a giant leap and double in capacity!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Samsung, the largest flash memory maker announced that it would double the data storage capacity of the flash memory by year end. The chips are mainly used in the USB Keys, digital cameras, MP3 players and scores of other portable devices requring such memory.

Samsung has nearly 60 % of the world's NAND flash memory market market in their pocket, Toshiba the second largest trailing behind with 28 % share. Apple has made a commitment to buy off 40% of what Samsung makes in the second half of this year The total market at present is hoovering at just over $10 Billion.

Source: Reuters

Profile of SamsungSamsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a Korean manufacturer of electronics and related products. The Company has four divisions. The Digital Media Division produces digital television sets, flat-screen television sets, combined monitor-television sets, wall-mountable television sets, liquid crystal display monitors, cathode ray tube monitors, videocassette recorders and digital video disk (DVD) players. The Semiconductor and liquid crystal display (LCD) Division produces a spectrum of products ranging from semiconductors and thin film transistor (TFT) LCD panels to diverse memory storage media, such as hard-disk drives and optical memory storage products. The Digital Appliance Division offers refrigerators, air conditioners, air purifiers, drum washers, vacuum cleaners, microwave ovens and allied products. The Telecommunication Network Division is a provider of wireless communication services, as well as mobile phones, personal digital assistant (PDA) phones and allied products.

Attachments

• samsung_chip.jpg
    samsung_chip.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 186

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It will be nice when solid state hard drives are common place :) Well, if they are fast enough!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian,

It will eventually :) I have come a long way when its comes to hard drives - cassette tape ->29MB->200GB :D

4 years back when I bought the Compact Flash card it cost $90 for a mere 128MB at 12x, today you could buy a 1GB at 80x for that kind of money. Very similar case with the ram in terms of size and price per MB over the years.

Its only a matter of time :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats a very good point actually, I had a 20MB drive in my first PC, and now 200GB is nothing :)

I'm really looking forward to what the next few years hold!

Ask a Question