Memo field truncated in report if report contains sorting and grou

G

I have a memo field "description" in a table. I bring this field into a query using First to make sure that it does not truncate (it does if using Group By). The query result is not truncated, as expected. So far, so good.

If I build a report off of this query and just use straight columns with no sorting or grouping, the whole field displays correctly. I have Can Grow = Yes, so it grows as much as necessary to display the whole memo field value. So far, so good.

As soon as I add a sorting and grouping level, such as "status," the "description" field gets truncated at 255 characters (or so, I haven't counted them). As soon as I remove the sorting and grouping levels, the "description" field displays correctly again. I am NOT adding the memo field to a header or trying to sort on it, but having any sorting and grouping in the report seems to cause this behavior.

I have read a lot about truncation issues when exporting memo fields to Excel or when using Group By on a memo field in a query, but those do not apply here. Has anyone else come across this issue? Any ideas for how to get around it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

M

Marshall Barton

datamaestro said:
I have a memo field "description" in a table. I bring this field into a query using First to make sure that it does not truncate (it does if using Group By). The query result is not truncated, as expected. So far, so good.

If I build a report off of this query and just use straight columns with no sorting or grouping, the whole field displays correctly. I have Can Grow = Yes, so it grows as much as necessary to display the whole memo field value. So far, so good.

As soon as I add a sorting and grouping level, such as "status," the "description" field gets truncated at 255 characters (or so, I haven't counted them). As soon as I remove the sorting and grouping levels, the "description" field displays correctly again. I am NOT adding the memo field to a header or trying to sort on it, but having any sorting and grouping in the report seems to cause this behavior.

I have read a lot about truncation issues when exporting memo fields to Excel or when using Group By on a memo field in a query, but those do not apply here. Has anyone else come across this issue? Any ideas for how to get around it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I can't reproduce a scenario where grouping on one field
causes truncation in another field, but my tests are
probably a lot simpler than what you have.

One way to work around this kind of thing is to leave the
memo field out of the original query and use a DLookup to
retrieve it in the report text box.

G

Original query included calculations as well as memo fields. Separated them out into separate queries, one for all text and memo fields, one for all numeric and calculated fields, and then joined them back together in final query to be used in report. This worked.

Ask a Question