Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, Closing Down.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This is a bit of a shame, I still use this a lot, great program and far better than VLC imo. Hopefully they'll find someone to take it over.

v1.7.13, the latest, and probably the last release of our project…

For quite a few months now, or even years, the number of active developers has been decreasing and has inevitably reached zero. This, unfortunately, means that the project is officially dead and this release would be the last one.

Unless some people step up that is.

So, if someone’s willing to really contribute and has C/C++ experience, let me know on IRC or via e-mail.

Otherwise, all things come to an end and life goes on. It’s been a nice journey and I’m personally pretty overwhelmed having to write this post.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed in any way all these years; Remember, MPC-HC is an 11-year old project.
https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13-released-and-farewell/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
From what I can tell, it's open source and on GitHub, so it's surprising there's little development on it.

I used to use MPC a long time ago, but since switched to VLC.

Out of interest, why do you prefer it over VLC (i.e. is it lighter loading or performs better)? I've not got any complaints about VLC, it seems light, fast and has great codec support.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
There is a fork of MPC-HC that is still in active development.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/?source=navbar

Media Player Classic - BE is a free and open source audio and video player for Windows.
Media Player Classic - BE is based on the original "Media Player Classic" project (Gabest) and "Media Player Classic Home Cinema" project (Casimir666), contains additional features and bug fixes.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've used Media Player Classic for a long time now, it's my preferred media player for video files by far.

Not sure why but I've tried a fair few and just prefer that one. Glad to see it will survive.

For audio I like foobar2000 which also has the option to burn CD's with a plug-in. All free.

Ask a Question