Media Centre - Chris Postill Style ;)

Reaction score
The 200Gb hard drive hasn't formatted yet... it's at 90%

Need to figure out where it's all going to go - the parents are replacing their old turntable in the living room stereo cabinet with this thing, and the TFT is to be wall mounted in a corner. Need to run the CAT5 cable over there i think before it can move in compltely...

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Well done Chris, looks like a big job!!

Please post back some pictures when finished and let us see your shiny new things in all their glory (perhaps Mr and Mrs P admiring their shiny toy as well??!!!!!)

See ya

Gabs x

Reaction score
See pics :)

Need to get monitor wall mounted yet, but it will be in that general position...

Mr and Mrs P are at the airport at the moment picking up some yanks :D

Attachments

• IMG_4718.JPG
    IMG_4718.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4726.JPG
    IMG_4726.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 117
Reaction score
Haha - that was my sisters cup of tea!

The blue lights illuminate the Input/output panel, well thats what i got them for, but i like the effect they have at the back...

The parents love it - dad can plug his electric guitars into it, and the soundstorm software can add effects to it, much like a wahwah (sp?) pedal does... He can also record to the computer aswell i think... It sounds really good!!

Only 250 more CD's to rip at 320kbps MP3 quality... sigh.

Reaction score
Nicley Done.. Christopher Sir!... :)

Was there any probs putting it together?

I like the Multi Coloured Glass Bubble Thermometer... Just next to the blue bubble lamp on the window sill... :) lol

Would one be safe in a conservatory do you think?... or explode causing chaos, death, destruction and mahem all over Cumbria.. :) ..okay slightly exagerated :)

I was looking at them in the home and garden centre

Reaction score
Thanks Spooks! Sorry i missed your post... Didn't see it there!!

As requested, some photos of the finished project. The only thing to be changed now is the TV card - mine is in there at the moment, but it's not so great and the parents will be probably getting a better one.

THe TFT looks great mounted on the wall, and the MP3's sound great through the new amp.

Enjoy:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Media Centre 1.JPG
    Media Centre 1.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Media Centre 2.JPG
    Media Centre 2.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Media Centre 3.JPG
    Media Centre 3.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Media Centre 4.JPG
    Media Centre 4.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 181

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looking good there :)

Did you go with some dedicated software in the end, are are you just using XP/SP2?

In fact, I think you may have inspired me to do something similar.

What's your POV on this? Basically I'll be using that computer I had up for sale.

Specs:

Gigabyte GA700N Pro 2 Motherboard.
XP2400 (2Ghz) CPU
2 x 256Mb Hinax Memory
FX5700LE Grafix, 128Mb
2 x 20Gb IDE Hard Disks
Pioneer A106 DVDRW
Floppy Drive
Jeantech 350W PSU

I figure I'll need the following:

A case similar to the one you've used
A bigger hard drive
A TV Card
Wireless keyboard/mouse

I'll be using it with a 28" CRT television.

I can take TV out from the video card and into the AV-1 Scart socket currently taken up by the DVD player and audio can go through my Hi Fi. The Hi Fi speakers are on each side of the TV.

I have a spare aerial socket on a TV distribution box to feed the TV card.

I have space to take a desktop computer case under the TV.

What do you think? Have I missed anything?

As I can't seem to sell this thing, may as well use it gainfully for something ;)

Reaction score
Just XP-SP2... with an apple theme :)

It's a very good project Flops - the parents love it.

Your spec is better than ours, so your basically there.

I got the case from Aria.co.uk and it came with a 400w PSU (you will have to use it as is smaller than a regular one) all other ATX components fit fine, however.

Get rid of the 2 IDE drives and get a 2 or 3 hundred-gig SATA drive. If your mobo doesn't support that, get yourself an A7N8XE-Deluxe, another advantage being that it has one of the best built in sound "cards" availiable.

You will need a TFT - with a VESA compliant wall mount. Dont use a TV as your primary display - they are useless at anything other than motion picture or pictures. You can't read the text. use the TV as the secondary display.

With the keyboard and mouse, get a RF one not IR, and make sure all the reviews say that the range is good.

Get rid of the floppy drive, and get a mitsumi 7-in-1 floppy drive and card reader (about £15 from ebuyer or aria) and is an awesome buy, used one in a mates build and they look quality, great for digital cameras.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Just XP-SP2... with an apple theme :)

It's a very good project Flops - the parents love it.

Your spec is better than ours, so your basically there.

Thanks for the reply, glad your parents are pleased with it :)

I got the case from Aria.co.uk and it came with a 400w PSU (you will have to use it as is smaller than a regular one) all other ATX components fit fine, however.

OK, I shall check that out.

Get rid of the 2 IDE drives and get a 2 or 3 hundred-gig SATA drive. If your mobo doesn't support that, get yourself an A7N8XE-Deluxe, another advantage being that it has one of the best built in sound "cards" availiable.

Yep, figured that, currently have my eye on a Western Digital 200Gb SATA drive, with one of their 'securelock' SATA cables, I have a couple of these cables already, they're good.

The Gigabyte board takes SATA drives and has good onboard 5.1 sound.

You will need a TFT - with a VESA compliant wall mount. Dont use a TV as your primary display - they are useless at anything other than motion picture or pictures. You can't read the text. use the TV as the secondary display.

Ah, now this is where it all comes crashing down :( I can stretch to a couple of hundred quid to change the machine, but atm I really cannot afford a TFT display, either 28" or 32". I'd forgotten the TV won't display fonts too well when using OS. Bugger.

With the keyboard and mouse, get a RF one not IR, and make sure all the reviews say that the range is good.

OK, noted.

Get rid of the floppy drive, and get a mitsumi 7-in-1 floppy drive and card reader (about £15 from ebuyer or aria) and is an awesome buy, used one in a mates build and they look quality, great for digital cameras.

Good idea, but I really don't need a card reader, my printer has all the card reading slots I need. And after installation, I'd probably lose the floppy drive anyway.

So, good idea eh, but I'm stumped with not being able to afford a TFT display atm. And tbh, I rarely watch TV anyway, first TV I'd watched in years was the Live 8 concert yesterday. But I do watch a fair few DVD Movies.

Back to the drawing board, or get some more work coming in, anyway.

Thanks for the advice :)

Reaction score
A couple of hundred quid... You can do it for that, just about :)

Just use a cable keyboard and mouse until you can afford a wireless one... and get the following :)

Case - £33 i think
15" TFT monitor - £99.99 delivered
HDD - Western Digital 200Gb - £67

I make that about a penny under £200. Obviously delivery will be about £15

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PS: Just looked at the Silverline desktop caes at Aria, they come in either black or white, but both have a 300W PSU - you sure yours is 400W? Have they changed the spec or something?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
A couple of hundred quid... You can do it for that, just about :)

Just use a cable keyboard and mouse until you can afford a wireless one... and get the following :)

Case - £33 i think
15" TFT monitor - £99.99 delivered
HDD - Western Digital 200Gb - £67

I make that about a penny under £200. Obviously delivery will be about £15

I'm not watching movies on a 15" Monitor, hehe ;)

I was thinking, for now, case, hard drive, keyboard/mouse & TV card.

Then save up for a 32" display, which, incidentally, I can get trade price :)

Reaction score
What you want is the TFT as the primary display, and you use the 28" TV as a secondary - to watch your movies on!!

See my setup - it would be identical to that.

You wouldnt have to do anything but use windows on the TFT :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
What you want is the TFT as the primary display, and you use the 28" TV as a secondary - to watch your movies on!!

See my setup - it would be identical to that.

You wouldnt have to do anything but use windows on the TFT :)

Aha. Doh :blush:

Hmm, looking more viable now then.

I could hang the TFT monitor above the TV, just enough room there, and turn it off when I'm viewing movies.

Hmm, thinking :)

And what about that PSU rating on the silverline desktop case?

And you forgot to add a TV card to complete pricing ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Also just realised I'm using a Logi MX700 cordless optical mouse with that system, so I'd only need a wireless keyboard, that helps with cost.

You got any links for some suitable £100.00 TFT monitors?

And yes, for this I'll even risk e-buyer, lol ;)

Ask a Question