McAfee Security Center problems

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new user on this forum and I would like to make a complaint about McAfee Security Center. People have told me it's a good program and I suppose it works for some people, but it's definitely not working for us. We just bought a new PC and bought a 3-year subscription to McAfee with it. From the moment we turned the computer on, McAfee has been acting up and it got so annoying that we uninstalled it the next day. It would freeze, make other applications freeze, warning messages popped up every second... It was just extremely exasperating. I know that you can modify the settings to make McAfee less "perceptive" to security threats, but I wasn't even able to get that far because of the way it was malfunctioning. For instance, I couldn't open up McAfee when I needed, and when I didn't need it, it would open up all by itself and prompt me to do something I didn't want to do, and wouldn't let me close it unless I agreed to something completely unnecessary.

We decided to give it another try today - after all, we paid for a whole 3 years... The same problems began, their tech support people were extremely unhelpful, and we ended up uninstalling again. Uninstalling wasn't easy, either - it made the whole computer freeze. It makes you wonder if they build something into these programs to prevent you from uninstalling them...

Has anyone else experience similar McAfee problems? I suspect that our computer has other problems too, and I'll have to contact Dell tech support about that soon, but it's clearly doing better without McAfee.

Reaction score
hy,
i myself also use mcaffe scurity cebter with firewall and virus-scan. and i have no problems with it at all.

May be u should put the windowsfirewall down or some other firewall/virus-scan down. But don't know if it would work. As i am using the mcaffe withthe Zomealarm.

but why do u have to uninstall it. i mean u can prevent that the prog starts at the setup. and if u want to modify it u can always start it up manually and then again close.

for removing it from startup list:
1. start-->run(ausführen)-> msconfig
2. then the last option: systemstart
3. there u can unchoose all promas which u don't wanna start up with every reboot.

hofe it would help. otherweise try in google. it is very helpfull. :D

mfg secret

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It is my personal belief that McAfee is a virus in its own right and should be avoided.

There are cheaper and better products on the market. ;)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
It is my personal belief that McAfee is a virus in its own right and should be avoided.

There are cheaper and better products on the market. ;)

yes i can be. But am too lassy to uninstall every thing and then install someother prog. But one thing i know: mcaffee is better than norton. :D

Reaction score
I don't think it is better when i used it various problems drove me mad and regular scans assured me the machine was clean but programes were crashing and the whole thing was running slow,them Mcafee started acting strange so i uninstalled it and loaded Norton which came up with no less than 5 virus !!and all problems solved.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I have had a problem with Mcafee spam killer for some time. When I access blocked emails it freezes after the first or second attempt to delete any blocked emails. Then follows 'report to microsoft'. I would be very grateful fo any suggestions as to a better service
peahouse05

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
I used to run Spamkiller but it started giving me so many errors that I removed it and installed a utility called INBOXER.

It takes a bit longer to setup but it's far more accurate once you have got it running properly.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Mcafee Spamkiller

Thanks for your reply. I wll disable Spamkiller. Is there any disadvantage to deleting in the Inbox and not using any filtering?
Cheers
peahouse05

Reaction score
McAfee Security Center Total Nightmare on new Dell laptop with No Support Available

I just bought a new Dell D820 Laptop, and had McAfee Security Center preinstalled. It came with all of the modules enabled except the privacy module...before I enabled that, things seemed OK except for a bunch of cryptic messages, but as soon as I enabled it, the worst nightmare I've had since Windows 3.11 began....the system could not complete logon to my domain, the system could not shut down, the system would not allow uninstallation or reinstallation of McAfee Security Center. I still haven't gotten it fixed, after 5 hours of tweaking, including going back to restore points, a lot of hard reboots, and other nonsense. It is not clear, but it appears that there is a conflict between MSS and Google Desktop, which also came preinstalled by Dell. I may have to rebuild the system from scratch, without MSS ofcourse. I have never needed paid software support before, so I didn't buy it with this computer, and it seems ludicrous to have to pay for it from Dell or McAfee on this brand new computer, so I'm posting it here for others to find in case they have ideas on how to fix my problem, or in case they want to avoid the nightmare Dell and McAfee together have brought upon me, with no one at either company to call.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
pelican - if its a brand new computer, then DELL have statutory obligations to assist you regardless of warranty's or not.

If they have set it up, and it does not work properly, then it is unfit for the purpose and you can demand a repair/refund.

If you are going to re-build it yourself, as Mucks said earlier - bin McAfee.
Also avoid Norton, and pay for a good AV suite like Kaspersky or Steganos (see post #3 HERE)- or a good free one like AntiVir :thumb:

twp

Reaction score
The moment I installed McAfee Security Center, Microsoft Outlook would lock up. It must be a very common problem. Can someone tell me what is going wrong?

Reaction score
BIG Problems with McAfee

The basics of my system:

McAfee Security Centre 8.0 (preinstalled as a 30-day trial)
Dell XPS720 H2C (quad core)
Windows XP Pro SP2

I would have to assume that this McAfee Software works properly on some systems, or they would never have had the nerve - or been so stupid - to release it.

On my Dell system, it was a disaster. It never worked, or even made any sense, and interfered seriously with virtually every aspect of my system. In the first 3 weeks (in which, luckily, I was not online) I had several dozen crashes every day - not just app crashes, but full system crashes (about one every hour). Sometimes the system ran fast, other times it slowed to a crawl.

The main program window had a big button marked Fix at the bottom right. Pressing it had no result. Nor did pressing the online update button. Trawling through the menu subsystems, I would be informed that my system was fully protected/all McAfee modules were working, OR, my system was not protected/no modules working, OR not protected/some modules working. I got these conflicting results within seconds of each other, by the way.

McAfee caused me hundreds of hours of aggravation. Thanks to it, my purchase of what should have been far and away the best PC I ever had became instead the worst PC experience I ever had. I finally concluded that McAfee had many, many sticky fingers delving deep into the registry, and that the only way of getting rid of its effects was to reinstall Windows, thus recreating the registry from scratch. This was very time-consuming, as I had to reinstall all my apps as well, but this is the course of action I would recommend to anyone having similar problems with McAfee.

I did a quick Google search back in July under McAfee+problems and found quite a few hits, among them one entitled "A Pox on McAfee" at:

www.consumeraffairs.com/php/a_report.php

I would be interested to know how many users with McAfee problems are Dell owners, and I would love to see McAfee pressurised into doing something about this. I suspect there are quite a few of us who suffered because of this software.

Signed: C. Phlebas

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Been using the free Mc Afee firewall that AOL give for 4 years , no problems at all . Seems to keep my pc clean . Also use Avast as me anti-virus and have Windows firewall turned off .

nod.gif

Ask a Question