Maxtor Hard Drive Clicking Noise HELP

beenthere

From: <[email protected]>
Subject: Maxtor Hard Drive Clicking Noise HELP
Date: 10 June 2006 09:29

Hi, recently ive re built my PC with a nForce4 M/B and now all of a
sudden one of my hard drives once a week start to make a clicking
noise. This can happen when loading up Windows XP or randomly when
using my machine. The noise is quite loud, lasts 3-6 seconds and sounds
similar like a drive not wanting to mount or the head jumping?

I've heard it could be because of the HD having lack of power but i
have a Seasonic 430w power supply and im sure that im not using more
than 280w for the system. I have also heard the drive could be dying.

Is there any software i can download to test the drive if it's about to
fail..

The drives are 6B250R0 (7200rpm 250gig)
and 6L300R0 (7200rpm 300gig)

Also how can i tell which drive it is

Disconnect your 2nd drive (non OS) and see if the sound disappears.
Go to the Maxtor site here
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...n_us/Support/Software+Downloads/Top Downloads

and D\load Maxblast. Put it on a floppy disc, or D\load the CD version,
and burn it to CD.
Then use it to test your drives.

OhNo

From: <[email protected]>
Date: 10 June 2006 09:29

[...]

did you mean PowerMax.........that seems to be the testing utility

beenthere

OhNo said:
did you mean PowerMax.........that seems to be the testing utility
SORRY. Yes, you are quite right Powermax Not Maxblast.
Fingers were quicker than brain <g>.

Frank Booth Snr

From: <[email protected]>
Date: 10 June 2006 09:29

[...]

I've got a Maxtor drive, which also clicks, but only when booting up. On
a cold boot, there is sometimes an unlengthy delay at POST, then the
Maxtor will click, and the PC boots up normally. I did a IDE diagnosis,
and the Maxtor passed it, so I'm not concerned.

OhNo

Frank Booth Snr said:
I've got a Maxtor drive, which also clicks, but only when booting up. On a
cold boot, there is sometimes an unlengthy delay at POST, then the Maxtor
will click, and the PC boots up normally. I did a IDE diagnosis, and the
Maxtor passed it, so I'm not concerned.

snap, my Maxtor 80gig C drive always clicks during boot up, been doing it
for a couple of years now. I keep a full clone of the drive anyway. I keep
saying to myself change it out as they are cheap but what the hell..........