'Master key' to Android phones uncovered

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
This is a little worrying!!

A "master key" that could give cyber-thieves unfettered access to almost any Android phone has been discovered by security research firm BlueBox.

The bug could be exploited to let an attacker do what they want to a phone including stealing data, eavesdropping or using it to send junk messages.

The loophole has been present in every version of the Android operating system released since 2009.

Google said it currently had no comment to make on BlueBox's discovery.

'Master key' to Android phones uncovered

:eek: :eek: :eek:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The danger from the loophole remains theoretical because, as yet, there is no evidence that it is being exploited by cyber-thieves.

One other hurdle is that in order to catch out Android users, malicious hackers would have to get their booby-trapped version of a legitimate application on to the Google Play store.

:sleep:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hackers use Android 'master key' exploit in China

A security firm says it has identified the first known malicious use of Android's "master key" vulnerability.

The bug - which was first publicised earlier this month - allows attackers to install code on to phones running Google's mobile operating system and then take control of them.

Symantec said its researchers had found two apps distributed in China that had been infected using the exploit.

Google has already taken moves to tackle the problem.

A fortnight ago it released a patch to manufacturers, but it will not have been sent to all handset owners yet.

Google also scans its own Play marketplace for the exploit, but this will not protect consumers who download software from other stores.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23431281

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Google also scans its own Play marketplace for the exploit, but this will not protect consumers who download software from other stores.

No disrespect the China, but I bet many people don't use the Google Store, are they allowed even?

:user:

Ask a Question