Margins - CSS screwy

FuseNews

I been trying to figure this one out and for some reason, nothing will work.

We have this in our CSS:

body { background-color: #FFFFFF;
margin: 0px 2px 2px 2px;}

However, you'll notice there still a huge space at the top of the page in
the browser (http://www.atvsource.com).

No matter what value we put for the top margin, it will not change it. Any
reason why this isn't working like it should?

Steve Easton

In your include page: http://www.atvsource.com/z_site_nav/header_home_page.htm
the link to the css file is this:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="atvsource.css">

In the home or default page: http://www.atvsource.com/index.htm
the link to the css file is:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="z_site_nav/atvsource.css">

Which one is correct??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

FuseNews

Both are correct. Has when you choose "Format -> Styel Sheet Links" then
add the style sheet link in either file, that is the path it gives itself.

If you do not give the correct file path, then the CSS doesn't work.

Anyway you look at it, it wouldn't matter where the CSS is stored, as long
as both CSS are the same.

Steve Easton

The only way for both of them to be correct would be to have a copy of the .css file in two
locations.
One in the root of the web, and one in the z_site_nav folder

Your home or default page is trying to access a css file in the z_site_nav folder. Is there one
there??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Thomas A. Rowe

It however does matter where the link to the CSS file is. If using the FP Include Page or Shared
Borders, then any content outside of the <body>....</body> tags of the Include/Shared Border Page
will not included in the container page.

WebMaster Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

P C

It's because you are using FP include page on top. To see the
difference, create a temp page just like that page and delete the top
include page.

Jens Peter Karlsen [FP MVP]

Reread your original answer.
In the first case:

http://www.atvsource.com/z_site_nav/header_home_page.htm

You already are in the z_site_nav folder so the relative link correctly
looks like this:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="atvsource.css">

In the other case you are in the root web so here the relative link
looks like this:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="z_site_nav/atvsource.css">

So both links point to the same file.

Forgot to have your coffee this morning?:)

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Jens Peter Karlsen [FP MVP]

Remove the return between </head> and <body>
Like this:
</head>

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Steve Easton

Nope.
If you are viewing a page contained in the z_site_nav folder, to use the css file in the root
the path should be <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../atvsource.css">

z_site_nav/atvsource.css is forcing the browser to look for it in z_site_nav
That's why I asked if there's a copy there.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

FuseNews

This is correct below.

FP 2003 automatically adjust the location for you when you save the file to
any part of your site. This being twelve folders down from the root or just
no folders down from the root.

Give it a try and you'll see for yourself that FP adjust the link to look at
the file, no matter where you save it.

I'll remove that extra line between the </head> and <body> to see what
happens.

Steve Easton

The ../ forces the browser to look in the root.
Even if the page being viewed is in a folder at the root level, if the link to the css is
simply
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="atvsource.css"> then the browser
looks in the containing folder and not the web root.

If the link is <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="z_site_nav/atvsource.css">
it also tells the browser to look in the z_site_nav folder and not the root

.../ switches it to the root.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Steve Easton

If you have told FrontPage to apply the style sheet "Across the web" it will automatically
enter the correct path.
If not, it will not update the path to the css file.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Steve Easton

Since my first web site created using Notepad.

;-)

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Murray said:
I see. How long did it take you to get used to this screwy usage? 8)

FuseNews

This is what I've been telling everyone from the get go. FP automatically's
updates the path to the file, therefore, the margin should work.

We know it works, since we can make adjustments to the other CSS file and it
will update the entire site. We've also updated the right, bottom, left and
top margins to see what happens. The right, bottom, left all update
according to the PX size we put in there. The only one that doesn't do
anything is the top margin. No matter what size we put in for the top
value, the space still exists.

Any clues now!

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

Only if you are at the root or 1 level from the root.
.../ means go up one level
/ always means the root level no matter how deep you are in the folder
structure.

There are two other possibilities:

../ means current folder
..../ means go up two levels.

Do NOT use the latter! Not all OS's supports it.
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: Margins - CSS screwy
Subject: Re: Margins - CSS screwy

The ../ forces the browser to look in the root.
Even if the page being viewed is in a folder at the root
level, if the link to the css is simply <link
rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="atvsource.css"> then
the browser looks in the containing folder and not the web root.

If the link is <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="z_site_nav/atvsource.css"> it also tells the browser to
look in the z_site_nav folder and not the root

../ switches it to the root.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed..................
..............................with a computer "Murray"

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

In both cases they are looking for the css in the z_site_nav folder
where it is.
You claimed that it would be necessary to have it in two places as
written. Hence the remark about lack of Coffee.

Jens Peter Karlsen said:
Reread your original answer.
In the first case:

http://www.atvsource.com/z_site_nav/header_home_page.htm

You already are in the z_site_nav folder so the relative link
correctly looks like this:

atvsource.css">

In the other case you are in the root web so here the relative link
looks like this:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="z_site_nav/atvsource.css">

So both links point to the same file.

Forgot to have your coffee this morning?:)

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Thomas A. Rowe

FP doesn't support the single / for going to the root.

Jens Peter Karlsen said:
[...]

Only if the root is one level above, no?

--
Murray