maped drive problem on 98 clients

Paul Edwards

I have a file share on 192.168.1.x network. On win98 clients that are on
192.168.6.x I can map the share and use it with no problem. When I reboot
the 98 client and when it tries to reconnect on restart it times out and
says that it can't find the share but as soon as the computer finishes
booting I can map the drive again with no problem. I do have it set to
reconnect at startup.

This only happens with the 98 clients and the shares on a remote network the
local shares work fine on restart.

Any suggesting.

Thanks

Paul

Shilpa Sinha [MSFT]

Hi

It would be helpful if you could specify the exact error message you get.

You can refer to the following link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=130077&product=w98

in case you are getting any of the following errors:

1. The following error occurred while reconnecting X: to \\<server>\<share>
Invalid local device.
Do you want to restore this connection the next time you log on?

2. The following error occurred while reconnecting X: to \\server\sys
Permanent connection not available
Do you want to restore this connection the next time you log on?

3. The following error occurred while trying to connect X: to \\<server>\
<share>
Invalid local device

4. The following error occurred while trying to connect X: to \\server\sys
Device not connected.

where \\<server>\<share> is a shared Microsoft resource and \\server\sys is
a shared resource on a NetWare server.

Shilpa Sinha

Paul Edwards

The error I get is you #2 listed below.

I have already read the page you referance below. These 98 clients don't
have a lastdrive entry at all.

Any other suggestions

Hi

You can try this.

SYMPTOMS
When a computer attempts to reconnect a mapped network drive to your
computer, the following error message may occur on that computer:
The following error occurred while reconnecting <drive>: to
\\<computername>\<sharename>
Permanent connection not available. Do you want to restore this connection
the next time you log on?

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions exists:

1. The Vserver.vxd file is missing or damaged in the Windows\System folder.
2. The DeviceVxds value with a value data of Vserver.vxd is missing or
damaged in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\
NetService\0000

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, use the appropriate method.
NOTE: If the Sharing command is missing from the context menu when you
right-click a file, folder, or drive, use method 1.

Method 1
Extract a new copy of the Vserver.vxd file from your original Windows 95/98
the drive on which Windows 95/98 is installed, and <windows> is the folder
in which Windows 95/98 is installed.

If you are using Windows 98, you can extract the Vserver.vxd file using the
System File Checker tool.

For more information about using the System File Checker tool, please see
"System File Checker Tool" section of the following article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
ARTICLE-ID: 129605
TITLE : How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files

Method 2
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Network.
3. On the Configuration tab, click File And Print Sharing, and then click
the "I want to be able to give others access to my files" and "I want to be
able to give other access to my printer(s)" check boxes to clear them.
4. Click OK, click OK again, and then restart your computer when you are
prompted to do so.
5. Repeat steps 1-4, clicking the "I want to be able to give others access
to my files" and "I want to be able to give other access to my printer(s)"
check boxes to select them in step 3.

Reference Link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;194990

Shilpa Sinha

Paul Edwards

Still not luck. Still having the same problem.

It only happens with the remote shares (from 192.168.6.x to 192.168.1.x. The
local shares work fine.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Paul

Shilpa Sinha [MSFT]

Hi

I cannot seem to find any answer to your specific problem.
I am sure someone in the newsgroup may be able to help.

Regards,
Shilpa Sinha

Thomas W

Shilpa said:
Hi

I cannot seem to find any answer to your specific problem.
I am sure someone in the newsgroup may be able to help.

Regards,
Shilpa Sinha

Have you tried downloading the mapped drive patch for windows 98 ??