Mandriva Free Spring 2008 64 Bit OS

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
But ithought you say later you didn't need the swap space partition?

I have 10GB set aside for the O/S and then 226GB for whatever else.

I have 8GB of RAM.

I'm not an expert just a enthusiastic novice .
nod.gif

I have altered the guide with some further info .
user.gif

Looks like you will not need a swap space , but have a read here ,

http://www.xenotime.net/linux/doc/swap-mini-howto.txt

It is a pretty easy to understand detailed explanation of swap spaces .

Mandy should fly on your pc .

Penguins are cooooooooooooooooooooooool !!

:D

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Ok cheers matey,

I thought my new psu would arrive this morning but obviously not, so no play time for me.

Thanks again.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
ATI DRIVERS set up ....

I have a Sapphire X1950 Pro graphics card and wanted the latest drivers for it . It took a little bit of research to find out how to get it to work on the 64 Bit OS . This will be in two parts , downloading and setting up , then part two will be about the Ati Catalyst Control Center .

attachment.php

Hopefully you will already have set up the PLF Non-Free repository on your system which you can do from "Configure your Computer" in the main menu , or from Easy URPMI.
Note that you are looking for "dkms-fglrx" not "dkms-ati" as you needed to previously .

attachment.php

Download and install from the Software Management application .

attachment.php

Now you need to set up the X Server .

attachment.php

Click on the "Graphic Card" button to make sure that you have the correct card .

attachment.php

There is a wide choice of manufacturers . Mine is the "Radeon X1300 or later" .

attachment.php

Back at the set up page click the "Monitor" button and make a choice . Once again there are plenty of choices .

attachment.php

Back again and hit the "Resolution" button then make your choice .

attachment.php

Back at the set up screen you can do a "Test" and there are some further "Options" . You will end up here though. Click "Yes" .

attachment.php

For some reason when I tried to do a TEST or Log out and Log in again I hit a black screen and the pc would hang . So I had to shut down and re-start . Once I had done this everything seemed to work just fine .

Thats Part one done with .

happywave.gif

Crumpets and coffee today so it will be a while before part two .

:p

Attachments

• ati2_1.jpg
    ati2_1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 571
  • ati1_1.jpg
    ati1_1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 520
  • ati3_1.jpg
    ati3_1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 471
  • ati4_1.jpg
    ati4_1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 557
  • ati5_1.jpg
    ati5_1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 657
  • ati6_1.jpg
    ati6_1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 514
  • ati7_1.jpg
    ati7_1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 504
  • ati8_1.jpg
    ati8_1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 496
  • ati9_1.jpg
    ati9_1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 516

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
ATI DRIVERS -- part two .......

So here we go for part two , the ATI Catalyst Control Center . I have not used this a lot before on any operating system but this version looks pretty much the same as the one on my Windows XP set up . It looks to have plenty of similar options to the settings under Mandriva so I am not sure if it of any extra value , still it does put all the options neatly in one place . Feel free to offer any extra info .

attachment.php

Here is where you will find it . Now when I first tried to use this nothing happened . So it was back on the net hunting information and I found that you needed to ..........

attachment.php

Open a konsole and run "aticonfig" as a normal user , no need to go root .
I did so and got a whole heap of information, I seemed to be scrolling through the screen for hours, which was so comprehensive that it overwhelmed me and I had to go out and get emergency supplies of cream cakes . As I did not know what to do with all the information I shut down the konsole and switched on the kettle .

attachment.php

I tried again to start ATI Catalyst Control Center and this time it opened up . Phew that was lucky as I was down to my last cream bun .
nod.gif

attachment.php

You get a decent set of information .

attachment.php

The controls work , when you move the sliders the colours do indeed alter . :)

attachment.php

All of the options in this section worked as well . I only gave a screenshot of one option as it is fairly self explanatory .

So that is the end of this guide . Hope it was useful .

If anyone can supply extra information on what to do when you run the "aticonfig" from the konsole send me a pm through the site e-mail and I will include it in the guide .

happywave.gif

Attachments

• aticcc1_1.jpg
    aticcc1_1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 446
  • aticcc2_1.jpg
    aticcc2_1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 455
  • aticcc3_1.jpg
    aticcc3_1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,104
  • aticcc4_1.jpg
    aticcc4_1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 437
  • aticcc5_1.jpg
    aticcc5_1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 454
  • aticcc6_1.jpg
    aticcc6_1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
MICROSOFT OFFICE WORD VIEWER ..and others .......

I do a little voluntary driving for the ambulance service and they send me details of my pick-up schedule by e-mail. They used to telephone details through, imagine the time spent doing that , especially if there were 4 runs with multiple passengers . It was a weekly nightmare . So in 2004 I suggested that they could send details by e-mail , I was told that this was not possible for security reasons etc . Well finally they have got up-to date and are sending e-mails, but they are rather strange.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Above is an example. the main body of the e-mail is the same every time and I get an three options down at the bottom of the page . Now if I try any of the options in linux or in Windows XP the Google document option will not open properly unless I sign my life away to google which is not an option. Viewing as a HTLM or downloading and opening with Open Office or Abi Word gives me .......

attachment.php
attachment.php

A long string of information that takes up three pages, that's not an option, think of the poor :( old trees. So I went looking for another solution.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The downloaded file comes through on linux as a ".rtf" rich text file, I can not remember what it comes as in windows .

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wanting to stick with linux software I found " antiword" which is easily downloaded and installed. trouble is it is a command line utillity and I found it a bit baffling. I did not want to take a university degree to learn how to use it and I don't have the time or the energy nevermind the cost of supplying the vast quantities of tea and toast I'd need to fuel me while I worked it out. So the hunt for information was on again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A quick phone call to ambulance headquarters gave me an answer. They sent me a link,

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en

for this very useful download, it works with Windows XP also, so I'm told as I have not tried it yet. I also downloaded this extra add-on which brings the viewer right up to date for all the latest products. I did not need the add-on as it turned out but I thought it might come in handy for some of you.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

I installed with "WINE", fairly standard install so no screenshots and here you can see it showing up in the menu. Click on it to open.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Technonumpties like me might find the program a little confusing so I have included a few helpful screenshots. All you clever folk can go and have a well deserved coffee and cake re-fuelling break.

It took me a while to figure out that the "D" drive when opened up .........

attachment.php
attachment.php

As shown here.

Related to my Mandriva desktop and not my dual booting Windows XP . Opening up the "Documents" folder gave me access to my downloaded file .

attachment.php

attachment.php

Opening up the "Z" drive gave me access to the linux "ROOT" folders. So if you have documents spread out in your system you should be able to find them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is "Z" opened.

It can be a bit tricky if you are new to linux finding the right partition to gain access to your folders. As the drive numbers change a lot depending on which application you are using. :confused:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Another way to find documents that you have already opened is shown above. Still confusing :confused: as you can see the same document is shown to exist in two locations even though I only have one copy of the file on my system.

Still the program works and very quickly too. I can now easily read the information I need and print it of on one sheet of paper. Did you hear all them trees give a big sigh of relief ?
nod.gif

I can not show a screenshot of the successful outcome as the document contains confidential information.

The program does work and I would like to thank :thumb: Microsoft for supplying free of charge this very useful download which gives us linux users easy access to files produced on their products. :p

The NHS IT folk baffle me though. Surely there must be a better way of sending these e-mails. Can they not encrypt the e-mails and send them as the main body of an e-mail ? Why on earth do I have to faff around with downloads etc etc ? Surely it would save bandwidth, not to mention valuable workers time if they could do so. I'm no expert but I know encryption software can be had for free and is not hard to set up and utilise. So how come those university educated dummies in the NHS can not work out a more elegant solution to this ?

Rant over with !!

It has to be time for a re-fuel of cranberry juice and dead fly biscuits .

Enjoy.
happywave.gif

If anyone can offer advice on using "antiword" pm me here on the site and I will include the information.

Attachments

• word10_1.jpg
    word10_1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 479
  • word2_1.jpg
    word2_1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 436
  • word0_1.jpg
    word0_1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 459
  • word1_1.jpg
    word1_1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 474
  • word3_1.jpg
    word3_1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 479
  • word5_1.jpg
    word5_1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 476
  • word6_1.jpg
    word6_1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 467
  • word7_1.jpg
    word7_1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 419
  • word8_1.jpg
    word8_1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 470
  • word9_1.jpg
    word9_1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Flash Player

Want to have flash clips playing from a site when surfing ? Well you have to do a little work to get them running on the 64 Bit Free Mandriva . Thank goodness I visited me mum this weekend and she sent me packing with home made creamy gateaus , so no worries on the re-fuelling front .

attachment.php

Firstly you need to find this web page. Make sure that you have "i586" chosen under the Architecture tab. Then simply click on the "Add PLF medias" tab, let the pc do its stuff and you should be ok to carry on .

attachment.php

Find this module and download and install it.

attachment.php

Next open up a Konsole and follow the instructions here. The guy is talking about the paid for version of Mandriva here, just ignore the bit at the start and follow steps 1) 2) 3). You do not need to be root to do this, just type away as an ordinary user. Remember to press "ENTER" after step 1) and 2) of the instructions.

I copied this from a post over at the Mandriva Forums, where they have a section dedicated to 64 Bit stuff.

Here is a link to the forums,

http://forum.mandriva.com/

attachment.php

I could not resist. This is taken from Novell's official site . Gave me a laugh and I am using it as my wallpaper . :p
laughingsmiley.gif

attachment.php

If you are having sound problems go to the Control Center and open up the Sound section.

attachment.php

Make sure that the "Enable Pulse Audio" box is unchecked and click "OK".

attachment.php

This last shot is just by way of passing interest. you can access this by clicking on "Advanced" and "Let me pick any driver", see the previous screenshot. If you are really clever? You can choose from loads and loads of different sound drivers. I was intrigued by some of the names.

Well that is how I got flash to work on my pc . It also sorted out some problems I had with clips I had downloaded from the net as well.

Enjoy.

Me I'm of to find them cream cakes.

laughingsmiley.gif

happywave.gif

Attachments

• FLASH1_1_1.jpg
    FLASH1_1_1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 452
  • FLASH2_1_1.jpg
    FLASH2_1_1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 491
  • FLASH3_1_1.jpg
    FLASH3_1_1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 511
  • FLASH4_1.jpg
    FLASH4_1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 440
  • FLASH5_1.jpg
    FLASH5_1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 405
  • FLASH7_1.jpg
    FLASH7_1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 406
  • FLASH8_1.jpg
    FLASH8_1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Kodo

Here is a totaly usless waste of time and space. This little gadget can be found in the Main Menu>Games>Toys well that is after you have downloaded it with " Install and Remove Software ".

attachment.php

Here it is on the desktop. Bet you thought it was a speed and distance counter for the falling man. :p

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can disregard the info given in " Metric Display " as it was obviously written by some foreign jonny. I mean everyone knows that things will only work when they are measured in feet and inches. :p

attachment.php

So there you have it, KODO, a total waste of time and space.

Enjoy.

happywave.gif

laughingsmiley.gif

Attachments

• kodo.jpg
    kodo.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 509
  • kodo1.jpg
    kodo1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 378
  • kodo2.jpg
    kodo2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 380
  • kodo3.jpg
    kodo3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 376

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I mean everyone knows that things will only work when they are measured in feet and inches. :p

To wit:

morrismarina01xc6.jpg

laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question