Manchester Meteor - High Altitude Balloon

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We're going to have an exciting article in the coming weeks, as PC Review ventures in to space... Sometime in mid/end September (weather permitting), we'll be launching a high altitude balloon with a video & tracking payload which will relay live position and video data to our ground station (a laptop and car!) along with recoverable HD video from the flight.

I'm working on this project with a university friend, Dr Jonathan Chippindall. You can read his blog here, where he will discuss the use of STEM projects to encourage youngsters to participate in similar projects and become more involved in science/technology. On PCR, we'll have a project log detailing some of the basic engineering and technology involved in this sort of project. The first launch of the "Manchester Meteor" uses off the shelf components so that we can trial the launch procedure before building more customised payloads.

We're hoping to get some video footage of the balloon ascent (~2 hours) and the slightly faster descent (~30 mins). If all goes to plan, the balloon will reach around 100,000 ft and will send back some fantastic pictures of the curvature of the earth, something similar to this:

attachment.php

The payload, parachute, balloon and supplies are all ready, we're just waiting on CAA permission to launch. Keep your eyes peeled!​

We'll also be launching mini astronauts in to space, as it's unlikely that we'll be able to make the trip ourselves any time soon:​

attachment.php

If you've got any questions or comments, just sign-up and post a reply to this thread (it takes a few seconds and we won't spam you!).​

Attachments

• High Altitude Balloon Space.jpg
    High Altitude Balloon Space.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 7,685
  • Lego Space.jpg
    Lego Space.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 6,986

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah remember watching the Gadget shows version where they launched different cams to see how they all performed at altitude..

Hope it all goes to plan Ian..:nod:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys :). I'll have a watch of the gadget show launch - as it happens we're using the GoPro 2 in this project too.

Reaction score
:bow: Oh great stuff, this will fire up the imaginations of the children, the future scientists of this country. The Register has a a similar project called Lohan but this is more exciting as this has included children in the project.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This sounds like a tremendously exciting and interesting project.

Please sir, I have a question.... Can I ask which gas the balloon will be filled with? Also, what size it will be, when still at ground level?

Meanwhile, wishing you and your colleague every success. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looks good :) Looking forward to reports from up there...

Gotta think of a song, uh, nope, not 'Up up and away' by the 5th Dimension, too cheesy, erm - got it!

Flying High by The Commodores. That'll do :)

Ground control to Major Tom....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Great Video Mucks - what a lucky guy :thumb:.

Please sir, I have a question.... Can I ask which gas the balloon will be filled with? Also, what size it will be, when still at ground level?

Meanwhile, wishing you and your colleague every success. :thumb:

Thanks TC :D. We're using helium and the balloon will be about 1.5m in diameter when it's at ground level, then just under 7m when we estimate that it will burst.

Do our mini astronauts have names ?

Yep, Ian and Chip ;).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
All the best for your project, Ian.

Hope all goes to plan. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I thought the lego people were Mr & Mrs C?:lol:

Nope, they represent Ian and Dr Chip! :lol:

I helped out this week by taking the unit to a random location so that they could check how well the tracking worked by trying to find me. I suppose it was a bit like fox hunting but without the fox, horses or dogs :thumb:

Ask a Question