Man connects to the Internet using a circa 1964 modem

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I found that quite fascinating.

I was wondering at the start what the two rubber cups were for.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's remarkable to think that a nearly 50 year old modem can connect to the internet - although I wouldn't fancy doing much browsing on it ;).

I wonder if there are many people still connecting to BBS's and text based sites using old PCs/Browsers?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How many years ago did you last use it Mucks and what sort of things could you do with one? This is all way before my time, but I find it really interesting :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Awesome. Can you imagine trying to download agame or something ? It would be old before the download had finished :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
it was the 80s, the 1980s

Transend was my BB connection to my contacts that produced a Bromide plate I could give to my printer guy which in turn made it possible for him to produce posters & stiff.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...FYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=transend modems&f=false

Had to connect the phone to the coupler and the Transend software did the rest. I remember one day I could not get anything to work and the guy on the phone, we had two lines, fixed it remotely, I kid you not. In them days it was a wee bit new and very futureistic.

My printer guy talked me into buying a 300dpi laser printer, I saved an absolute shed load of money as he could produce the same results from a paper print out.

The PC was a state-of-the-art Wearns 286, 256k ram, which had a 386 daughter-board fitted. Was as slow as a pig to load as it needed more ram. That PC was on lone as a demo, the UK distributor went bust and I had a 3k system for free. :)

It didn't take too long for the 'coupler' to be replaced with the new fangled external modem.

I used Windows 3.1, Adobe Pagemaker, Corel Draw 3? ... an Amstrad PCW that Nettie used to transcribe student dissertations and other text, with a simple accounts package, and I also had the software/hardware (a cable) to allow me to copy the files from the Amstrad PCW

My "company" was called Designs-inPrint ... lasted all of 3 years. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like a great way to get a PC ;). It's funny as a 386 doesn't seem too long ago at all, how time flies.

I remember being really excited about upgrading to a 33.6kbps modem and being amazed at downloading at over 3.5k/s. Ah, those were the days :lol:.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
One word...

Netscape.

I am with Ian. I remember when the 14.4 modem was the upgrade to have. Pages loaded in all of three minutes. When 56K modems came out, it was like the baby Jesus himself passed down the Internets access. There were cherubs and shiny lights from the sky. And the peasants rejoiced.

Ask a Question