    I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    this doesn't help.

    Any answers, thanks, Bob

    BobV, Dec 16, 2004

  2. BobV

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    "BobV" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    >SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >
    > XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
    > and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot
    > drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the
    > install won't run because it says that there are no drives at all.
    >
    > I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive
    > but this doesn't help.
    >
    > Any answers, thanks, Bob

    Did you configure the boot drive sequence in BIOS to actually use the
    SATA ports to find a bootable hard drive? Is the SATA controller
    enabled in BIOS? Did you install the SATA BIOS (it has its own BIOS
    that loads after the system BIOS although it might share EEPROM space),
    usually as part of the chipset driver package for your motherboard?

    _Vanguard_, Dec 16, 2004
  3. Did you actually set the new drive as master drive and the new one as slave,
    and configure it correctly?

    The Undertaker, Dec 16, 2004
  4. BobV

    Guest Guest

    1st format the drive with a primary partition in xp,then shutdown computer,
    remove the plugs for the IDE drives,start computer,configure the sata drive
    in the bios,enable the boot menu,etc.,install xp cd,boot to xp cd,then
    press F6
    for sata/raid configuration,if non-raid,press the apropriate text,w/o raid
    a floppy
    isnt needed,F6 will let xp detect the sata drive,exit when thru,then
    select,install
    xp.

    Guest, Dec 16, 2004
  5. BobV

    Rick Guest

    BobV wrote:
    > I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD SATA
    > drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >
    > XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed, and
    > the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive. If I
    > try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run because
    > it says that there are no drives at all.
    >
    > I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    > this doesn't help.
    >
    > Any answers, thanks, Bob

    you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
    with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
    I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.

    Rick

    Rick, Dec 16, 2004
  6. BobV

    GF Guest

    I htave the same board.

    1) to install Windows on SATA, I have to
    disconnect the IDE drive
    Press F6 when asked to, and a diskette
    with the necessary drivers (found on
    the installation CD) in the floppy drive.

    2) Make sure SCSI is set as the first boot
    drive in the BIOS.

    - But I think that in the SATA
    BIOS one has to activate the HD for the
    above to work. Read item 5.5.1 in
    your manual.

    GF, Dec 16, 2004
  7. BobV

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    "The Undertaker" <> wrote in message
    > Did you actually set the new drive as master drive and the new one as
    > slave,
    > and configure it correctly?

    SATA drives can be configured as master or slave? Hmm, on the mobos
    that I've used which include an onboard SATA controller (and of the few
    SATA controller cards that I've seen), there is no master/slave
    selection. The hard drive connects to only one SATA port which is *not*
    shared between two drives. You cannot connect 2 drives to one SATA
    port. One SATA drive to one SATA controller via one SATA port. So
    where would master/slave be effected when using SATA?

    If you are using the SATA-PATA adapter to connect an IDE drive to a SATA
    port, you'll need to configure the hard drive however it gets jumpered
    as a single drive on an IDE port (i.e., as a single drive or as a master
    drive, depending on what the hard drive maker requires for their drive).

    Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    _Vanguard_, Dec 16, 2004
  8. BobV

    _Vanguard_ Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > BobV wrote:
    >> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new
    >> WD SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>
    >> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk
    >> installed, and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as
    >> the boot drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then
    >> the install won't run because it says that there are no drives at
    >> all.
    >>
    >> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive
    >> but this doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Any answers, thanks, Bob

    > you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
    > with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
    > I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.
    >
    > Rick

    Must be unique to Asus then. I have an Abit NF7-S v2 mobo with an
    onboard SATA controller chip and BIOS. I only had one drive which was
    connected to a SATA port on the mobo. I booted using the Windows XP
    installation CD, hit F6 (to later load the SATA driver), it ran through
    part of its install (including loading all the drivers to detect what
    hardware might respond), and then stopped to ask me to insert the SCSI
    driver floppy since no mass storage devices were detected. Inserted the
    driver floppy and completed the Windows install. You have to do the
    same thing if you want to use SCSI drives as your only drives or as your
    boot drive.7

    Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom AND append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    _Vanguard_, Dec 16, 2004
  9. BobV

    BR549 Guest

    Why would you need 2 drives?

    BR549, Dec 16, 2004
  10. Rick wrote:
    > BobV wrote:
    >> I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new
    >> WD SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>
    >> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk
    >> installed, and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as
    >> the boot drive. If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then
    >> the install won't run because it says that there are no drives at
    >> all. I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA
    >> drive but this doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Any answers, thanks, Bob
    >>

    > you need to have two HDs to set up SATA Read the manual that came
    > with your MOBO. It should give you all the information that you need.
    > I have SATA setup on an Asus A8V MOBO.
    >
    > Rick

    Do you check your drivel before posting?! SATA is *NOT* RAID. I have a
    system here with an Asus board running a single SATA drive. You do *NOT* I
    repeat do *NOT* require more than one drive for SATA any more than you did
    for PATA.
    on salads.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Dec 16, 2004
  11. BobV

    Guest Guest

    One way to try:

    Make sure your onboard controller is enabled by jumper(near battery) on your
    motherbaord on the A7N8X Deluxe. Has to be in the 2-3 position I believe, you
    can read the board near jumper, or look in the manual. When installing XP on
    the drive, press F6 during setup and insert diskette with SATA drivers (You
    may have to make one on another computer using the "makedisk" file in the
    driver package available from ASUS website, or your CD), when prompted to do
    so and follow onscreen instructions. Remove disk after it copies necessary
    files, and continue Windows setup. You should have a clean install of XP with
    your SATA drive (which should boot of course). Leave IDE drive out during
    installation to make sure. I recommend to also install Nvidia Unified
    Driver(5.10) package available at nvidia.com immediately after Windows
    installation, as Windows will not have drivers for the board components. Good
    Luck, I just put one very similar together and it works excellent!

    Guest, Dec 16, 2004
  12. BobV

    Bob Harris Guest

    SATA is newer than XP, so it can not automatically detect these disks.

    Instead, you need to press F6 early in the XP installation (watch the bottom
    of the screen). Then, you need to have the SATA drivers on a floppy. They
    must be on a floppy, not on a CD. The XP installer will take what it needs.
    OR, it will present you with a choice, if there are multiple drivers (e.g.,
    98, 2000, XP); choose XP.

    But, before you even think about installing XP, you need to determine
    whether the SATA controller is also a RAID contoller. My ASUS P4S8X has a
    combined RAID/SATA controller. So, I first needed to make a "RAID array".
    But, I did not want to link two disks, so I used the custom RAID options to
    make an array of one disk. The ASUS manual helped, but only a little about
    this important step.

    An interseting aside: Until I made an array, even the Seagate disk prep
    tools could not see the disk. However, in your case it sounds like your
    motherboard is handling some of this for you, since you mention that XP can
    see the disk, after XP is installed on an IDE disk. Or, it could be that it
    knows that one one SATA disk must be in an array of its own, or maybe you do
    not have a RAID contoller.

    One other item I recall about the installation process: I needed to go into
    the BIOS and set te boot options to include:

    IDE hard drive = none
    other boot device = SCSI/onboard ATA boot

    and this option on the advanced tab:

    onboard ATA device = enable
    onboard ATA device first = yes

    As for master and slave, the concepts do not apply to SATA disks, since they
    are one disk per controller.

    Bob Harris, Dec 17, 2004
  13. BobV

    BobV Guest

    "Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > SATA is newer than XP, so it can not automatically detect these disks.
    >
    > Instead, you need to press F6 early in the XP installation (watch the
    > bottom of the screen). Then, you need to have the SATA drivers on a
    > floppy. They must be on a floppy, not on a CD. The XP installer will
    > take what it needs. OR, it will present you with a choice, if there are
    > multiple drivers (e.g., 98, 2000, XP); choose XP.

    I am doing this

    > But, before you even think about installing XP, you need to determine
    > whether the SATA controller is also a RAID contoller. My ASUS P4S8X has a
    > combined RAID/SATA controller. So, I first needed to make a "RAID array".
    > But, I did not want to link two disks, so I used the custom RAID options
    > to make an array of one disk. The ASUS manual helped, but only a little
    > about this important step.

    This is difficult to tell, but I think it is a combined RAID/SATA
    controller. I see no way to make a RAID array with only one disk. There is
    no option to make a custom RAID array. The ASUS manual is no help at all.

    > An interseting aside: Until I made an array, even the Seagate disk prep
    > tools could not see the disk. However, in your case it sounds like your
    > motherboard is handling some of this for you, since you mention that XP
    > can see the disk, after XP is installed on an IDE disk. Or, it could be
    > that it knows that one one SATA disk must be in an array of its own, or
    > maybe you do not have a RAID contoller.

    Not sure

    > One other item I recall about the installation process: I needed to go
    > into the BIOS and set te boot options to include:
    >
    > IDE hard drive = none
    > other boot device = SCSI/onboard ATA boot
    >
    > and this option on the advanced tab:
    >
    > onboard ATA device = enable
    > onboard ATA device first = yes

    I have none of these options available in BIOS. I can set the first boot
    device to SCSI, but then the system hangs when trying to boot.

    Thanks, Bob

    BobV, Dec 17, 2004
  14. BobV

    BobV Guest

    "tcmiked" <> wrote in message
    > One way to try:
    >
    > Make sure your onboard controller is enabled by jumper(near battery) on
    > your
    > motherbaord on the A7N8X Deluxe. Has to be in the 2-3 position I believe,
    > you
    > can read the board near jumper, or look in the manual. When installing XP
    > on
    > the drive, press F6 during setup and insert diskette with SATA drivers
    > (You
    > may have to make one on another computer using the "makedisk" file in the
    > driver package available from ASUS website, or your CD), when prompted to
    > do
    > so and follow onscreen instructions. Remove disk after it copies necessary
    > files, and continue Windows setup. You should have a clean install of XP
    > with
    > your SATA drive (which should boot of course). Leave IDE drive out during
    > installation to make sure. I recommend to also install Nvidia Unified
    > Driver(5.10) package available at nvidia.com immediately after Windows
    > installation, as Windows will not have drivers for the board components.
    > Good
    > Luck, I just put one very similar together and it works excellent!

    I have done all of this with the exception of installing the NVIDIA Unified
    driver(5.10) package with no luck at all. When I leave out the IDE drive,
    XP install just says that it can find no hard drives and can not continue.

    BobV, Dec 17, 2004
  15. BobV

    BobV Guest

    > "BobV" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a new ASUS A7N8X-E with a SATA controller on board, and a new WD
    >>SATA drive, and am finding it impossible to make it the boot disk.
    >>
    >> XP SP2 will recognize the disk as long as I have a IDE disk installed,
    >> and the SATA disk is usable, but I am unable to use it as the boot drive.
    >> If I try to reinstall XP without the IDE drive then the install won't run
    >> because it says that there are no drives at all.
    >>
    >> I can use XP's disk management to partition and format the SATA drive but
    >> this doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Any answers, thanks, Bob
    >>

    > Did you configure the boot drive sequence in BIOS to actually use the SATA
    > ports to find a bootable hard drive? Is the SATA controller enabled in
    > BIOS? Did you install the SATA BIOS (it has its own BIOS that loads after
    > the system BIOS although it might share EEPROM space), usually as part of
    > the chipset driver package for your motherboard?

    I can find no way to configure the boot drive to use the SATA ports in BIOS,
    I see no way to enable the SATA controller in BIOS.
    No I did not install the SATA BIOS, as I am not sure what or where it is.
    It certainly is not mentioned in the MOBO manual.

    BobV, Dec 17, 2004
  16. BobV

    BobV Guest

    "Andrew E." <> wrote in message
    > 1st format the drive with a primary partition in xp,then shutdown
    > computer,
    > remove the plugs for the IDE drives,start computer,configure the sata
    > drive
    > in the bios,enable the boot menu,etc.,install xp cd,boot to xp cd,then
    > press F6
    > for sata/raid configuration,if non-raid,press the apropriate text,w/o raid
    > a floppy
    > isnt needed,F6 will let xp detect the sata drive,exit when thru,then
    > select,install
    > xp.

    I have done all of this, and the XP Install just stops and says that it can
    find no hard drives and then quits.

    BobV, Dec 17, 2004
  17. BobV

    BobV Guest

    "GF" <> wrote in message

    > I have the same board.
    >
    > 1) to install Windows on SATA, I have to
    > disconnect the IDE drive
    > Press F6 when asked to, and a diskette
    > with the necessary drivers (found on
    > the installation CD) in the floppy drive.

    I have done this.

    > 2) Make sure SCSI is set as the first boot
    > drive in the BIOS.

    I have done this.

    > - But I think that in the SATA
    > BIOS one has to activate the HD for the
    > above to work. Read item 5.5.1 in
    > your manual.

    SATA BIOS??? Not sure where this is and how to activate the HD.
    Item 5.5.1 in the manual just refers to physical installation, and RAID
    sets.

    BobV, Dec 17, 2004
  18. Quick checklist:

    1) Is there native S-ATA support?

    Some chipsets natively support S-ATA, and in turn are natively
    supported by XP. Others have additional controller chips added to
    confer S-ATA support to a mobo chipset that otherwise lacks this.

    The latter can be a problem if BIOS doesn't see the added controller
    as bootable, and/or XP doesn't natively support it. It is in this
    situation that you may also have to "enable the S-ATA BIOS".

    Early in the XP installation process, there's a prompt to keypress if
    you need "special" drivers for the controller of the HD that the OS is
    to see at boot time. You are then expected to provide these drivers,
    controversially on diskette. The installation process then renames
    these to a generic OS-known name in C:\ so that they can be used early
    in the boot process. Without this, ?no joy.

    2) Is S-ATA enabled in CMOS?

    3) What S-ATA vs. UIDE relationship is defined in CMOS?

    Many motherboards with S-ATA will also have UIDE, and these can be set
    to interact in various ways; usually...
    - legacy mode; S-ATA overlay UIDE identities
    - enhanced mode; can use all UIDE and all S-ATA
    - RAID; both S-ATA used as a single RAID unit

    Older OSs such as Win98 may require legacy mode, where you can use one
    OR the other of S-ATA and corresponding UIDE "position". For example,
    S-ATA 0 would overlay UIDE Primary Master, while S-ATA 1 may overlay
    either UIDE Primary Slave or UIDE Secondary Master.

    In this situation, if you had a UIDE primary Master and S-ATA 0 they
    would clash, a S-ATA 0 would boot before UIDE Secondary Master, and a
    UIDE Primary Master would boot before S-ATA 1.

    If you're using enhanced mode, then you may be able to use all UIDE
    and S-ATA identities for separate devices at the same time. In this
    case, whether S-ATA or UIDE boots first would likely be an explicit
    setting in CMOS, as would be the case for S-ATA RAID.

    Enabling S-ATA RAID adds the requirements of RAID, and may also cause
    a BIOS extension to become active during POST.

    4) What is the boot device order?

    5) Are your S-ATA cabled correctly?

    Careful with power connections in particular. Many S-ATA HDs offer
    both new S-ATA power and old legacy power connectors. Don't use both,
    and don't use legacy if you plan on hot- or cool-swapping (assuming
    those are supported at all, they will require S-ATA power connection).

    >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

    Who is General Failure and
    why is he reading my disk?

    cquirke (MVP Win9x), Dec 17, 2004
  19. BobV

    GF Guest

    I must disagree. A floppy definitely is required.
    There are no drivers for that SATA controller on
    the Windows install cd.

    uHY5UQ$...

    GF, Dec 17, 2004
  20. BobV

    GF Guest

    After the computer boots but before Windows starts
    a message will appear at bottom of screen
    asking you to press Ctl+C.

    Another point is you must make sure your
    SATA drive is connected to SATA connector 1.
    (not 2).

    GF, Dec 17, 2004