Making a MP3 Cd

Maurice Helwig

I have a considerable number of audio tapes that I wish to convert to
MP3 format and put them on CD,s. Editing and converting to MP3 using
Audacity is no problem but I am not sure how I go about burning the CD.
I would like to sort the files into folders. If I do this and burn a Cd
with Nero 6 in the normal way will the new CD players with MP3
capability be able to play them.

Maurice Helwig

W.H. Blankenship

Maurice Helwig said:
I have a considerable number of audio tapes that I wish to convert to MP3
format and put them on CD,s. Editing and converting to MP3 using Audacity
is no problem but I am not sure how I go about burning the CD. I would like
to sort the files into folders. If I do this and burn a Cd with Nero 6 in
the normal way will the new CD players with MP3 capability be able to play
them.

Maurice Helwig

You should ask this on alt.music.mp3. Going by my own experience if you
burn them as MP3s or DATA files, any MP3 player should play them.

Ron May

Message-ID said:
I have a considerable number of audio tapes that I wish to convert to
MP3 format and put them on CD,s. Editing and converting to MP3 using
Audacity is no problem but I am not sure how I go about burning the CD.
I would like to sort the files into folders. If I do this and burn a Cd
with Nero 6 in the normal way will the new CD players with MP3
capability be able to play them.

Maurice Helwig

Not exactly sure what you mean when you say the "normal way" but if
you mean burn the MP3 files to DATA disc format (as opposed to AUDIO
format) then the short answer is yes, most MP3-capable CD or DVD
players should be able to play the MP3 (data) files sorted into
folders.

Daddio may stick his head in this thread, but he has a helpfile called
"Daddio's Dandies" that can walk you through the process you're
planning. See:

http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

So what is "dadiOH's dandies" anyway?

Just a "help" file...with information about how to record vinyl and
cassettes to your computer...how to turn them into MP3s...how to make
them into audio CDs to play on any CD player or into "MP3" CDs that
will play on any computer or hardware device capable of decoding them.

It gives you all the basic information you need and it includes links
to websites that will give you more advanced information. It also
includes links to numerous programs to help you do these things. There
are a number of links to non-music programs as well.

Maurice Helwig

tRon said:
[...]

hanks I will give it a try

Maurice helwig

dadiOH

Maurice said:
I have a considerable number of audio tapes that I wish to convert to
MP3 format and put them on CD,s. Editing and converting to MP3 using
Audacity is no problem but I am not sure how I go about burning the
CD. I would like to sort the files into folders. If I do this and
burn a Cd with Nero 6 in the normal way will the new CD players with
MP3 capability be able to play them.

Yes.

What you will have is a CD with MP3s on it - a data disc. Anything that
can play MP3s should be able to play them; however, the folders may not
work as you expect, different players handle them in different ways.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Mark

When a CD player supports MP3 files, the instructions should tell you
certain specifics, like how many levels of subfolders it can read, and
how many files it can keep track of per folder or disk. If you exceed
the player's limits, the extra files and folders may not show up in the
player, but most of the disk should remain playable.

Most DVD players wil play MP3s, so that might be a good starting point
for experimentation. Apoplogies if any of this seems too obvious.

DavidK

I have a considerable number of audio tapes that I wish to convert to
MP3 format and put them on CD,s. Editing and converting to MP3 using
Audacity is no problem but I am not sure how I go about burning the CD.
I would like to sort the files into folders. If I do this and burn a Cd
with Nero 6 in the normal way will the new CD players with MP3
capability be able to play them.

Maurice Helwig

For my (panasonic) walkman style MP3 disk player the best way would
be to burn in folders of 10-20 tracks each grouped according to album
or cassette or whatever.

The player has only one next track button which will play the
following file in the directory (folder) when pressed normally. If you
use a long-press, it will skip to the first file in the next
directory.

However it depends on the specific player I guess.

I have a different question about recording MP3s.

Does anyone how to change the sound level of the recorded MP3. Or to
start with see what it is I guess. Some recordings of radio from the
web end up rather quiet when I burn them to CD to play on the walkman.
This means it is difficult to listen on a train/plane.

Is there some freeware I should start with for this?

David.

dadiOH

DavidK said:
I have a different question about recording MP3s.

A new thread would have been appropriate.
Does anyone how to change the sound level of the recorded MP3.

MPTrim or MP3Gain. Former is easier, latter more versatile. You could
also use most any wave editor but that requires decoding/re-encoding.
http://www.mptrim.com/
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

--
dadiOH