    of asking if I want to delete existing table, it just tells me it cannot run
    the query because the table already exists. I have never had this happen
    before. Anyone seen this?

    Guest, Nov 6, 2006

    John Vinson Guest

    On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 12:28:02 -0800, cspowell
    <> wrote:

    >I have a make-table query that will not delete the existing table. Instead
    >of asking if I want to delete existing table, it just tells me it cannot run
    >the query because the table already exists. I have never had this happen
    >before. Anyone seen this?

    I have never seen a make-table query that WOULD delete an existing
    table, and I'd be really, really upset if one ever did!!!

    Delete the table first (trap and ignore the error if there is nothing
    to delete), and then launch the make-table.

    Note that MakeTable queries are VERY inefficient, and very rarely
    actually needed. My first choice would be to base your Report, Export,
    Form or whatever directly on a Select query; if this is impractical,
    then have a "scratch" table, empty it using a Delete query, and then
    run an Append query to fill it. This will avoid a lot of the system
    overhead in creating and destroying new tables.

    John W. Vinson[MVP]

    John Vinson, Nov 6, 2006