mainboard monitor to test video card?

John Doe

I have a Dell 5150 (305W PSU specified).

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/specs0.htm#wp1052310

And this video card 6600GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122206

Before plugging in the card, I want to use a mainboard monitor from
within Windows to measure the exact 5.xx and 12.xx voltages.

Anybody know offhand a good utility for doing that? Is there one on
the CD?

I figure that comparing the voltages before and after going from the
built-in video to the high-power video card might be a good way to
make sure the power supply can handle it.

Thank you.

Conor

I have a Dell 5150 (305W PSU specified).

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/specs0.htm#wp1052310

And this video card 6600GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122206

Before plugging in the card, I want to use a mainboard monitor from
within Windows to measure the exact 5.xx and 12.xx voltages.

Anybody know offhand a good utility for doing that? Is there one on
the CD?

I figure that comparing the voltages before and after going from the
built-in video to the high-power video card might be a good way to
make sure the power supply can handle it.
ROFLMAO. As anyone with half a clue knows, you cannot use the
motherboard monitoring to give you an accurate reading of the voltages.

What you have to use is either a decent multimeter or an oscilloscope.

Also anyone with half a clue also knows that it's not the voltage
that's the problem but the current available which you can't check
unless you put a load on it. In other words, you're not going to find
out until you plug the card in.

Also as the card has it's own power socket, measuring what's on the
motherboard is quite frankly, pretty ****ing pointless in the first
place.

--
Conor
Sig under construction. Please check back when Duke Nukem Forever ships

Cashback on online purchases:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm

Randella

Why do you want to measure voltages?

Why not ask Dell if the video card is compatible? I mean you did buy a
"Dell" computer.

Seems like a ton of effort for almost no result.

-Randy

John Doe

Conor said:

The monkey is alarmed by something unfamiliar.
As anyone with half a clue knows, you cannot use the motherboard
monitoring to give you an accurate reading of the voltages. What
you have to use is either a decent multimeter or an oscilloscope.

Why does your nonsense think I need to know the real voltage levels?
All I need is consistent comparative readings, not indicators of the
real voltage levels.
Also anyone with half a clue also knows that it's not the voltage
that's the problem but the current available which you can't check
unless you put a load on it.

Current from a voltage regulator is based on load resistance. If the
regulator cannot handle the current load, the voltage drops.

If the voltage remains correct, the current is probably fine. Why is
that difficult to understand?
In other words, you're not going to find out until you plug the
card in.

That wouldn't work. I will be looking for a comparative decrease in
power supply supply voltage between using the onboard video and a
high-powered video card.

If the regulated supply voltage remains precisely the same, the new
video card probably isn't exceeding what the supply can handle.
Also as the card has it's own power socket, measuring what's on
the motherboard is quite frankly, pretty ****ing pointless in the
first place.

I'm pretty sure that voltage levels indicated by a mainboard monitor
are the power supply output voltages. The 5 and 12 V readings on
such monitors are probably straight from the power supply.

The concept is simple enough. While the voltage remains correct the
load is receiving enough current. Unless the voltage levels measured
by a utility are way out of bounds, those measurements should do
just fine for comparative purposes.

The only problem as I see it is if the regulated power supply is
very close to output current capacity.

John Doe

Troll

From: "Randella" <randyprine cox.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: mainboard monitor to test video card?
Date: 28 Jun 2006 11:20:14 -0700

Why do you want to measure voltages?

Why not ask Dell if the video card is compatible? I mean you did buy a
"Dell" computer.

Seems like a ton of effort for almost no result.

-Randy

Rod Speed

John Doe said:
I have a Dell 5150 (305W PSU specified).

And this video card 6600GT.

Before plugging in the card, I want to use a mainboard monitor from
within Windows to measure the exact 5.xx and 12.xx voltages.
Anybody know offhand a good utility for doing that?
Everest

Is there one on the CD?
I figure that comparing the voltages before and after going
from the built-in video to the high-power video card might be
a good way to make sure the power supply can handle it.

Doesnt tell you anything about the noise level on the rails.

Rod Speed

Conor said:
ROFLMAO. As anyone with half a clue knows, you cannot use the
motherboard monitoring to give you an accurate reading of the
voltages.

What you have to use is either a decent multimeter or an oscilloscope.

Also anyone with half a clue also knows that it's not the voltage
that's the problem but the current available which you can't check
unless you put a load on it. In other words, you're not going to find
out until you plug the card in.

He's clearly talking about the before and after voltages.
Also as the card has it's own power socket, measuring what's on the
motherboard is quite frankly, pretty ****ing pointless in the first place.

Nope, that still shows the rail voltages, albiet using a pretty crude 8 bit A/D.

sbb78247

John said:
I have a Dell 5150 (305W PSU specified).

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/specs0.htm#wp1052310

And this video card 6600GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122206

Before plugging in the card, I want to use a mainboard monitor from
within Windows to measure the exact 5.xx and 12.xx voltages.

Anybody know offhand a good utility for doing that? Is there one on
the CD?

I figure that comparing the voltages before and after going from the
built-in video to the high-power video card might be a good way to
make sure the power supply can handle it.

Thank you.

what a ****wit - trying to plug in an agp card in a pci express board.

that's not even a good try at trolling.

but, if you were actually to do something like this, then this might be the
appropriate card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122201

John Doe

Rod Speed said:

Thanks for the link. We'll give that a try.
Doesnt tell you anything about the noise level on the rails.

Hmm. Well, okay.

Not that it means much, but I'm hoping to see the same hundredths or
at least roughly the same tenths indicating the same before and
after values. I don't expect precision, I'm really trying to know
ahead of time whether there is a major strain on the power supply.
If it's way off, that will be useful information. I'm looking more
for a failure than proof that everything is fine.

Using a multimeter or oscilloscope is not an option. Apparently Dell
BIOS do not show voltage levels and a Windows utility will be more
user-friendly anyway. I will be pleasantly surprised if Dell
mainboards even have the capability.

John Doe

A foulmouthed (and ugly IMO) troll who doesn't know that NVIDIA's
6600GT is also if not primarily a PCI Express video card.

From: "sbb78247" <sbb78247 ****off.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 03:36:28 +0545

John said:
A foulmouthed (and ugly IMO) troll who doesn't know that NVIDIA's
6600GT is also if not primarily a PCI Express video card.

call it what you will, but i am not the ****wit trying to plug an agp card
into a pci express board now am i. look at your own links below and you
will see the truth to your own lunacy. you can monitor it with a government
machine or what ever but it won't matter since your combination won't work
in the first place.

sbb78247

John said:
I call it ugly... and I keep wondering what two things could have
produced it.

i call you of topic

this is a homebuilt group now **** off to the dell group holy warrior

Randella

Awww whats the matter? Do you think that telling me you're a Troll
hurts my feelings? It's not my fault you bought a "Dell" and were too
stupid to research it first...

-Randy

John Doe

Randella said:
Awww whats the matter? Do you think that telling me you're a
Troll hurts my feelings?

No.

Trolls cannot be negotiated with.
It's not my fault you bought a "Dell" and were too stupid to
research it first...

I don't have a problem and wouldn't miss your input.

I would recommend Dell because they have web based technical support
for their individual models. If the person I'm trying to help has a
Dell, I can just ask for their model number and learn all about
their system online. That online information is very useful for
remote assistance.

sbb78247

Randella said:
Awww whats the matter? Do you think that telling me you're a Troll
hurts my feelings? It's not my fault you bought a "Dell" and were too
stupid to research it first...

-Randy

just remember, the ****wit aka john doe thinks that everyone with an opinion
other than his is a troll. he's kinda ****ed up that way.

John Doe

A slimy, usually XNoArchive troll from alt.os.windows-xp

See also:
Newsgroups: alt.test
Subject: teeest again
From: sbb78247 <sbb78247@****off.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:34:39 +0200 (CEST)

From: "sbb78247" <sbb78247 ****off.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 13:02:08 -0500
Awww whats the matter? Do you think that telling me you're a Troll
hurts my feelings? It's not my fault you bought a "Dell" and were too
stupid to research it first...

-Randy

just remember, the ****wit aka john doe thinks that everyone with an opinion
other than his is a troll. he's kinda ****ed up that way.

Randella

It's John's issue let him sort it. It's not like he will ever figure
it out on his own...You have to be smarter than the system...

-Randy

John Doe

One of the stranger trolls running around USENET.

From: "Randella" <randyprine cox.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: 7 Jul 2006 07:52:38 -0700

It's John's issue let him sort it. It's not like he will ever figure
it out on his own...You have to be smarter than the system...

-Randy

Randella

Awww, I think he likes me!!!

-Randy