Mail returned in Loop

I have a client who I have been unable to send an email to for some months.
The message I always receive back is automated and states "Unable to deliver
message to the following recipients, because the message was forwarded more
than the maximum allowed times. This could indicate a mail loop".

I have reported this consistent problem to the intended recipitent who's own
IT department have responded that they don't have any other similar problems
so the actual problem must be at my end. I'm not convinced as I experience no
similar problems with any other of my many hundreds of contacts.

Any ideas please, even to say whether it is a problem I can deal with or a
problem within the intended receipitents server?
Many thanks
Phil

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Phil;
Try sending Email from a neighbour using the same ISP.
Try sending Email from a neighbour using a different ISP.
That will help you narrow the source cause.of the problem.

I doubt it is nessage rules on either end but you could try a different mail
client.

Jupiter, Hi and thanks for the response......tried it all as suggested. Same
negative results????? My email address is my business address so I have to
sort the problem without simply changing that particular address. As a test I
established myself a temporary Hotmail email address and needless to say, no
problem at all with that. It seems to me that my business email address is
bouncing (or looping) between servers somewhere. I reckon it's at the clients
end but I can't be sure and they just won't help on the matter. Approx. 4
months ago I sent this client an email during the morning without problems
and then, hey presto, first one after lunch and I got the same undeliverable
message I've been getting ever since ! It's a real teaser.......stumped
completely !
Cheers
Phil

Gary

Try this.

How to test SMTP operations using Telnet

1. Telnet into Exchange server hosting IMS service using TCP port 25.
Command is telnet <servername> 25

2. Turn on local echo on your telnet client so that you can see what you are
typing.
On Win 9x and NT 3.5/4.0 Telnet client this done by selecting the
"preferences" from the "terminal" pull down menu, and checking the local
echo radio button. For Windows 2000 telnet client, issue command "set
local_echo", from the telnet command prompt.

3. Issue the following smtp command sequence

helo <your domain name><enter>
response should be as follows
250 OK

mail from: <your Email Address><enter>
response should be as follows
250 OK - mail from <your Email address>

rcpt to: <recipient address><enter>
response should be as follows
250 OK - Recipient <recipient address>

data<enter>
response should be as follows
354 Send data. End with CRLF.CRLF

To: <recipient's display name><enter>
From: <your display name><enter>
Subject: <Subject field of Email message><enter>
response should be as follows
250 OK

quit<enter>

Thanks Gary.....I'll put it to the test and see what it tells me. Let you
know the result when we get there.
Cheers
Phil