    Report Wizard? Reason for this, I have a dynamite query for the report and
    the field names in the query is different each time when executed. I acn not
    put the statis column name in teh report.

    Paul, Mar 4, 2008

  2. Paul

    Allen Browne Guest

    Some of the other Access apps can record macros, but Access does not do
    this.

    There are times when the field names change - particularly with crosstabs.
    But it might be possible to alias the fields in the query, or design it so
    that the names don't constantly change. If that is not possible, you may
    have to save the report with unbound controls, and write code in the
    report's Open event to determine the actual fields and assign the
    ControlSource of the text boxes, moving and resizing them as needed and
    hiding the unused ones.

    Before you go to that trouble, the most common reason we see convoluted
    reports is that the person who designed the database did not normalize it
    correctly. Breaking down a table with many fields into related tables with
    many records might solve all the problems.

    If you are not sure what normalization is, you could try the Table Analyzer
    in Access. In Access 2007, it's on the Database Tools tab of the ribbon; in
    earlier versions it's on the Tools menu.

    If you want to read further, see #3 here:
    http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html
    The PDF for 'Normalizing Data' explains the basic.
    Further reading:
    http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html#DatabaseDesign101

    Allen Browne, Mar 4, 2008