M2N78-LA Motherboard Manual?

jw

Anyone know where I might download the manual for motherboard M2N78-LA
free? Or is that asking too much?

Love

Duke

jw

Yes

You are right.

I had this and printed it out. I failed to expand the specs.

What I am really after is an understanding of the difference between
Four USB 2.0 connectors (single port)
and
Two USB 2.0 connectors (dual ports)
Both are on the mobo.

You see, I have the mobo in front of me, and I am looking at a mobo
connection I do not understand. it connects one of the Four USB 2.0
connectors to something on the front of the tower that I do not
fathom. It is a powered (two prongs of a 4-prong molex) connection to
a pair of receptacles on the front of the tower, one a USB type B the
other what looks to be a male power connector, like my laptop power
supply.

I have put a new mobo in this tower and wonder if I can/should take
advantage of this connector.

Love

Duke

Pen

[...]

Can't help with the front panel cable. The connectors are
just what they say. The 4 pin ones are single USBs, while
the 9 pin ones are double USBs.

jw

Can't help with the front panel cable. The connectors are
just what they say. The 4 pin ones are single USBs, while
the 9 pin ones are double USBs.

So I have to figger where to connect the single USB. I don't see one
as yet on the replacement Gigabyte mobo. Have to look again.

Thanks again

Duke

peter

What make and model is the computer tower case??

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.
to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :)
wrote in message
Can't help with the front panel cable. The connectors are
just what they say. The 4 pin ones are single USBs, while
the 9 pin ones are double USBs.

So I have to figger where to connect the single USB. I don't see one
as yet on the replacement Gigabyte mobo. Have to look again.

Thanks again

Duke

Paul

So I have to figger where to connect the single USB. I don't see one
as yet on the replacement Gigabyte mobo. Have to look again.

Thanks again

Duke

You can connect a 1x4 USB pin header style cable, to a 2x5 USB motherboard
header. The 2x5 header has two USB interfaces. They're arranged as
two parallel rows. With care, you can even plug two 1x4 connectors
into the 2x5, and run two separate cables off to two different places.

Your 1x4 cable from the tower front panel, will not have any keying system.
There is no way to guarantee you get it on the correct pins. You can go by
exposed wire color on the 1x4 cable. Red is +5V. Black is ground. Look in
the manual for the new Gigabyte motherboard, and there should be a pinout
diagram for it there. Then, you should be able to put the 1x4 in place,
double checking you're on the correct pins. If you get it wrong, you
could either blow the device plugged into the front, or blow the
port on the motherboard. That's why you double check. If you're unsure,
unplug it and post a question here about it.

There are other small details. On brand new cases, you use an
ohmmeter, to verify the cable pinout. Not all manufacturers of
computer cases, have a clue upstairs. They'll gladly ship product
with wiring errors. Since you're reusing a tower which has been
proved to work, you have no further work to do. But if you
were buying a new tower for a build some day, that is yet
another consideration. Not only do you have to check the
pinout of the motherboard, the pinout on the cable connector,
but you also have to verify the cable is built correctly. I
have several Antec cases with wiring errors (which are
consistent errors from case to case, *not* isolated errors
caused by sleepy production line workers). Some of the companies
making computer cases, are "metal bangers", and they know zero
about electronics. They don't know the significance of reversing
power and ground.

Paul

Paul

The door on the front of the case is labeled 'Personal Media Drive
Bay'. The USB and other end I described earlier are anchored in the
rear of this little compartment. Obviously it is intended that some
device be plugged therein.

Duke

Apparently, it's a hard drive with USB interface, and it can either plug
into the Bay, or be used with separate cabling.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00769879.pdf

The HP drive you plug into that hole, takes a power connection and a
USB connection from the back of the Bay. If you use the HP drive by
itself, you use it with an AC power adapter. Implying it is perhaps
using a 3.5" drive internally.

Paul

jw

Apparently, it's a hard drive with USB interface, and it can either plug
into the Bay, or be used with separate cabling.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00769879.pdf

The HP drive you plug into that hole, takes a power connection and a
USB connection from the back of the Bay. If you use the HP drive by
itself, you use it with an AC power adapter. Implying it is perhaps
using a 3.5" drive internally.

Paul

Yes, the original Pavilion had a single internal Sata hard drive. So
it may be that one could plug a second hard drive here. My external
drives indeed are USB although not with a USB B connector.

Thanks

Duke