Lucky Boy!

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
For the first time online is the amazing video from the helmet camera of British skydiver Michael Holmes.
It shows him plummeting 12,000ft to earth after both his parachutes failed, saying goodbye to the world... and hitting the ground with a sickening thud at 80mph.

Michael's friend, who jumped from the same plane, also filmed the whole event. He found his pal bleeding and unconscious - but alive.

Watch Video

Reaction score
Main chute & reserve both failing & living to tell the tale, he is one very lucky person!

Reaction score
OMFG!

Absolutely amazing. There has been storys told of things like this happening before.

Paratroopers jumping in world war II from similar heights landing in snow drifts and surviving

very very lucky

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Saw this on TV News, incredible piece of film, it was sickening to watch as the poor guy spun ever-closer to the ground, how terrifying it must have felt. Wonderful that he survived:nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, watched an interview with him yesterday, he cant wait to get back in a plane and go jumping again, Only thing stopping him is the Doctor!!

Nutter! :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Saw this on the news too, what a lucky escape!

I did wonder if it would have been better to hit the water rather than the ground, although I suppose he had little control over where he landed if he was spinning. (Of course, this time it did work out thankfully!).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I did wonder the same thing, He said in the interview that if he hit the water at that speed it would have been like hitting a concrete floor and would have killed him, He also said that he only just missed a tree stump by a couple of feet!

He was really lucky!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
If you ask me i dont think hes lucky...
think about it, both parachutes did FAIL to deploy. :|

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Alf said:
If you ask me i dont think hes lucky...
think about it, both parachutes did FAIL to deploy. :|
Thats a very good viewpoint actually ;) Unlucky and very lucky at the same time :D

Ask a Question