LSD drug to improve problem-solving !!!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Reaction score
And what problems are they?

Just for starters privacy, automatic update downloads (what are they putting on YOUR PC) and you have no control over what they are putting on YOUR PC and it is not theirs you, ether built it or bought it with MS on it but it IS NOT their equipment. Even though you cancel their data minors in the control panel they are still data mining. Running the thing the cost of apps now for all the other software you require to run safely and any other aps you need cost cash , the free ones only do half the job. Now having changed to Linux Mint I have how realised slow and bloated the Microsoft product is. Cannot think of anything else at the moment:p:p:pbut will let you know if I think of anything else;):nod::lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
And what problems are they?

Just out of interest I googled,

"windows 10 problems 2015"

an came up with,

"About 193,000,000 results"

so take your pick :lol:

windows 10 problems = About 303,000,000 results

windows 10 install problems = About 78,800,000 results

windows 10 update problems = About 167,000,000 results

windows 10 privacy = About 483,000,000 results

I doubt if all those folk are linux users or non tech savy folk :cool:

Reaction score

"windows 10 problems 2015"

an came up with,

"About 193,000,000 results"

so take your pick :lol:

windows 10 problems = About 303,000,000 results

windows 10 install problems = About 78,800,000 results

windows 10 update problems = About 167,000,000 results

windows 10 privacy = About 483,000,000 results

And I am a non tech savy person 193,000,000 problems:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:& Linux Mint seems OK to me, so far I haven’t come across any so far:thumb::thumb::thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just for starters privacy, automatic update downloads (what are they putting on YOUR PC) and you have no control over what they are putting on YOUR PC and it is not theirs you, ether built it or bought it with MS on it but it IS NOT their equipment.
Even though you cancel their data minors in the control panel they are still data mining.
Running the thing the cost of apps now for all the other software you require to run safely and any other aps you need cost cash , the free ones only do half the job.
Now having changed to Linux Mint I have how realised slow and bloated the Microsoft product is. Cannot think of anything else at the moment:p:p:pbut will let you know if I think of anything else;):nod::lol:

- Privacy settings can be addressed and its is well documented how to do so, ergo your point is moot. As mentioned on other threads, MS aren't the only ones 'data mining' as you call it and certainly aren't the worst.

- 'Apps' or programs as we call them, cost as much as you want them to. Open office or Libre Office is one example over MS Office, so again your point is moot.

- Windows isn't bloated, that is if you know how to use it, incompetent users are the ones who bloat out their installs with toolbars, registry cleaners, PC speedup ultilites and alike. Another moot point.

- While Windows isn't free it is good value to most as you get many years of use out of it, work it out over the course of the average lifetime and its really not that much.

Lets be honest, going by your past posts/threads your hardly in a position to be preaching how bad Windows is or how good Linux is are you?

*Pointless drivel*

I Googled 'Linux problems 2015' and it came back with ~49,000,000 results - given that the Linux market share is around 1.74% and Windows is around 85% its hardly a valid argument is it. Hell I Googled 'First World problems 2015' and it came back with 'About 289,000,000 results', so what exactly is your point?

My point is, that you can put any old crap into Google and it will yield results.

Reaction score
That is correct VR I will admit I am not tech savy I am a user I think what I object to is what Microsoft assume that users will put up with without a by your leave. Up to now I have purchased over the years 4 operating systems and they have worked very well for me. But in a way to keep up with developments in technology they have given me one , one I did not want really as I was quite happy with W8.1 but it was basically shoved down your thought as every time it came up to download W10 without any explanation that would be monitoring your PC (data mining) that the updates were automatic whether you liked it or not in fact the BIG BROTHER attitude. I was quite happy at the beginning of W10 until I realised that there was more to this new OS than meets the eye. If you are happy with the way they have access to your PC that is your business but I find it an intrusion into my private life by a conglomerate in the USA abhorrent. I do not mind the security services having a look at my internet behaviour because I have nothing to hide but what really gets up my nose is a large very large organisation like Microsoft and the other software companies who supply their operating system expensive software to keep their system running sweetly whom I have paid what is to me a large amount of money over the years and they have the audacity to really force me to accept that they have forced on me and on the PC which I built,( this is No 3) this abomination and a affront to MY privacy just takes the biscuit. The Yanks may accept it but I am an old fashioned Brit and what I do and who I contact is my affair and has nothing to do with any else, it is rather like Royal Mail opening your letters and reading them before delivering them to you. If you are happy with the intrusion that is up to you, but for now I am happy with Linux and I can play games if I want via Steam it boots quicker and works quicker than W10 and is loaded with software and I am very happy with it.:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Let's hear it for Mac OS X El Capitan :)

(No, I've never used a Mac OS in my life)

All this MS Vs Linux is tiring.

I use both but my main machine - primary uses Internet, Gaming and Business documents - has Windows 7 on it and uses a fair number of Windows only software programs, amongst them Microsoft Publisher and Outlook.

I like them, they work, I'm happy with the setup and it's very likely I'll be using Win 10 by the end of the first quarter next year.

I also use Linux Mint as that also works for me.

I have been and I still am critical of Microsoft, they have used some despicable business practices in the past and they rely on people's computer/OS naivety to further their own ends financially, often in an underhand way.

And has been pointed out in that aspect they're no different from many other companies, some of whose software is used in Linux OS's.

Linux Distro suppliers generally have a better attitude towards their users I will agree but I see the first signs of rot setting in with several suppliers now charging for their Linux operating systems. And then, of course, there is Ubuntu, who seem to have designs to be as profitable as Microsoft and rewrite the Linux guidelines.

Bickering is pointless, claiming one-upmanship is puerile and proving false accusations false is worthwhile.

Nothing is perfect, just go with what you're happy with, I do.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well said Flops.

Bickering is pointless, claiming one-upmanship is puerile and proving false accusations false is worthwhile.

As is the constant Windows bashing that has been going on here lately.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Links to examples please.

The reason I ask this, by the way, is it's rare for Linux to receive scorn, most folk recognise most Linux distros are reliable with a stable core file system at their heart and most of all the majority are free. I certainly can't recall a tendency to have a pop at Linux on this Forum.

Microsoft, on the other hand, attract a lot of bashing. The way I see it MS are criticised not so much for their operating system but for their business practices and questionable operating system methods. There is also a factor of jealously involved as MS have managed to become stinking rich.

Windows is actually a very good operating system and above all it's dead easy to operate. There has been a lot of criticism recently over MS's decision to see desktops as mobile phones and tablets and deservedly so imo but these issues have been or can be addressed, either by changes MS have made or third party software.

In the same way that people like to bash Windows for reasons I have outlined, so do the virus writers like to target Windows, another reason MS get a lot of stick and this is not entirely their fault, imo virus writers should be put up against the wall but that's a different issue.

Just thought I'd clarify my request.

Reaction score
I have to admit that we do have 2 PC's in our house mine running Mint and the other the wife's and that is running Windows 10 32 bit and she likes it and I have to admit until now I have always run Microsoft and until now have been very happy with their operating systems up to now. But now I have found an alternative which I find for my use better for what I use it for. My beef with Windows 10 it is trying to be all things to all IT equipment, non declaration about its data mining, I apologise if my remarks offended any one but it was not meant to offend, but I still maintain their tactics are of the lowest order.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
See Bootnecks & Abarbarians postings!
For it is they who knock the mighthy Bill the most.
I just dont like paying every other year for a new & improved O/S!

Eh? You said 'Linux bashing'. Now forgive me if I'm wrong but 'Linux bashing' to me would be criticism of Linux operating systems whereas you have given examples of two members who have recently been criticising Windows OS's.

Am I missing something here?

Should Mr Feckit be grateful psychiatric services in the UK are cost-covered by the NHS?

Ask a Question