    Does Windows XP Pro have a LPD service so that my LPR
    clients can print to my shared printer?

    Tx ....... JW

    Jason, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Thanks Cyberbear. I will try your second choice tonight.
    The reason I asked is because my wife has a Win2k laptop
    configured with cached credentials from her company. With
    this, I can not get her laptop to see my shared printer on
    my workgroup net (her laptop is set to her company's
    domain). I hope with LPD/LPR, her laptop will then be
    able to see and print to the shared printer.

    Tx....... JW

    Or you
    >could:
    >
    >Try going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs >

    Add/Remove
    >Windows
    >Components. Scroll down to "Other network file and print
    >services".
    >Highlight that and click the "Details" button. You will

    be able

    Jason, Jul 21, 2003

  3. The LPR/LPD solution should work, as long as there is "IP connectivty"
    between the two computers.

    For example, the Win2K laptop is probably configured to use DHCP for IP
    settings. If your home network does not have a DHCP server (e.g. an XP
    computer with ICS installed, a router), you may not have any network
    connectivity between the two computers at all. Can you "ping" between the
    computers successfully?

    You should be able to get normal Windows file and print sharing to work in
    your situation, as long as there is connectivity as explained above.

    Add a local user account on your home XP computer that has the same username
    and password as your wife uses to logon to the work domain. Then, your XP
    computer will "know" about your wife's user account and you should be able
    to file and print sharing working.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    Bruce Sanderson, Jul 22, 2003
  4. After installing the Print Services for Unix, any printer known on that
    computer can receive print via LPD. You don't have to "share" the printer.

    On the other computer (wife's?), you create a Standard TCP/IP port and add
    the printer to that. Then, you modify the Properties of the Standard TCP/IP
    port to use LPR, specify either the IP address or DNS name of the target
    computer (probably the IP address of your's in this case) and set the "Queue
    Name" to be identical to the "Printer Name" on the target computer.

    If you need help doing this, post again.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    Bruce Sanderson, Jul 26, 2003