Lost space on 300 gig external drive

R

rq

I have a 300 gig external drive that I use for backups. When I list the folders on the drive and their size, I come up with just under a 100 gigs of used space. The drive shows that I have approx 23 gigs of space left before the drive is full. So here is the question, which one of you guys has my other 170 gigs of storage space. ;-) Thanks for any help.

Richard

B

Bender

If I look at the properties of my backup, it might display 0 bytes used. If I double click on the folder then go through the UAC prompt and continue through the folders I later will show much more than 0 bytes used for the same backup folder.
The missing gigs is because they are not being calculated for folders that require permission to access first.
I have a 300 gig external drive that I use for backups. When I list the folders on the drive and their size, I come up with just under a 100 gigs of used space. The drive shows that I have approx 23 gigs of space left before the drive is full. So here is the question, which one of you guys has my other 170 gigs of storage space. ;-) Thanks for any help.

Richard

E

Ed

I have a similar problem. My backup drive shows only 4.86 MB free of 298 GB.
I understand what Bender is saying but how did this happen? Doesn't the
backup overwrite the previous backup files everytime a backup is run? Or,
does it keep adding an additional more recent copy everytime backup is run.
If the latter is the case should I just delete a bunch of the oldest backups
on my backup drive? If so, how do I tell which ones are the largest?
Thank you,
Ed

E

Ed

Well, I don't know what any of that means...does anyone else have any ideas
for a computer dummie?

N

Nonny

Ed said:
Well, I don't know what any of that means...does anyone else have any ideas
for a computer dummie?

Disable System Restore:

Click the Start orb

Click "Help and Support" (remember this one for future use)

Search for" System Restore"

Choose Number 2

====

Reboot:

Restart your computer

Ask a Question