Lost Internet connection for 1 User account but not another

G

My wife was out of town for about 3 days. She checked her email the morning before she left. Her last email came in at about 10am. When she go back 3 days later and tried to get email, got error couldn't connect to email server. On her User account with XP home V2002 SP1 she has lost internet connection. When I log into my account, I can acccess internet fine. I can get email, and when I put her account into Outlook express on my User Account, she get's her email. The first one was at 3pm the day she left, so she lost the connection sometime then. If we fire up Explorer in her User account, she gets "The page cannot be displayed" "cannot find server or DNS error"

I checked her setting in Explorer/Tools/Internet Options and it's set the same as mine - automatically detect settings. We have a LAN with shared cable-modem through a router. 2 other computers on the LAN are able to connect to the Internet same as before

I used the Internet Explorer Troubleshooter and when I chose the Investigate settings on this computer option I get "This troubleshooter has detected that your computer cannot ping your default gateway. This indicates that you are not connected to the Internet". But if I manually use the Ping command, it works fine. I can ping her own IP address, her Default Gateway address, and her DNS Servers with 100% return. I can ping other IPs on the Internet

I then got to the page for "multiple versions of the Winsock files?" in the troubleshooter. When I searched for Winsock.dll, I found 2 of them, one in \Windows\System32 and the other in \I86. I renamed the one in I86 to xWinsock.dll, but it didn't help. I searched for winsock32.dll, wsock.vxd, and wsock32.vxd as instructed but did not find any (searched hidden system and subfolders). With net view command I can see all the other computers and their resources, so my LAN is working fine

The only thing I can find as a clue is that I can ping IP addresses, but if I use a host name I get "Ping request could not find host excite.com. Please check the name and try again." It won't translate a host name, but I can ping the DNS server ok

Any clues would be helpful. Remember my User account works fine, but hers has the problem. Both are admin accounts.

L

Lance Joiner

I don't know if this will help but go to My Network Places..view network
connections..right click on the connection and choose repair.

Ask a Question