Loss of wireless connectivity

Discussion in 'Security Networking' started by Ed H., Mar 19, 2005.

  1. Ed H.

    Ed H. Guest

    Similar problems as others, but no joy on correction
    techniques I have seen posted.
    Yesterday AM the computer was able to connect to my main
    computer via wireless network and then out to the
    internet.

    Last evening, nothing but "red X's". Symptons
    include "wireless network unavailable", when I click
    on "View available wireless networks" none show up,
    though in the past usually saw both mine and the
    neighbors. When I go to Network connections, the LAN icon
    has the red X-wireless unavailable. I disable and
    attempt to re-enable, receive "connection failed."
    Ran IPCONFIG and got:
    "Media State...........:Media Disconnected"
    Device Manager says the network card is working
    properly. Re-installing the driver had no effect.

    This all follows a two day battle with a host of nasty
    spyware that made its way to this computer via a cable
    modem and wireless router (My main computer works fine
    luckily). Spybot, EarthlinkSpyBlocker, and MSAS (great
    program by the way-assuming I get my network back) got it
    all cleaned up and I thought I was golden until last
    night's problem. Reading through the chat room last
    night thought the fix was near.

    Followed the guidance today
    of "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350" and also
    ran "WinsockfixXP", which based on what I read last night
    seemed like the ticket. No effect at all on the
    symptoms. I am running WindowsXP SP1.

    Computer checks clean of viruses and spyware, and aside
    from the network issue runs fine. Would really
    appreciate it if anyone had some clues about what to do
    to fix this. Appreciate it if you made it this far on
    this lengthy post.

    Ed

    Ed H., Mar 19, 2005

  2. Ed H.

    AFM Guest

    For the Internet connectivity issue, please go to a
    command prompt and type:
    netsh winsock reset
    and hit enter.
    You can read about the causes of this issue and more about
    the fix here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
    I'd recommend restarting in safe mode and scanning again,
    doing full scans, and continuing to scan until a full scan
    comes out clean.

    AFM

    AFM, Mar 19, 2005

  3. Ed H.

    Guest Guest

    The fix in 892350 did not work, winsocketfixXP did not
    work, and I am running XP SP1 so the "netsh winsock
    reset" command does not work.

    Symptoms same as I described. Did run MSAS in safe mode
    and found 1 item, MSAS removed it, and rescan was clean.
    I did the above steps again and no joy or change in
    symptoms. If anyone has any ideas I would welcome them.
    Thanks.

    Guest, Mar 19, 2005
  4. In addition to resetting the Winsock LSP, you can reset TCP/IP

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

    (another NETSH command--but this one works on sp1

    --
    FAQ for Microsoft Antispyware:

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 19, 2005
  5. Ed H.

    trace89371 Guest

    I was having the same problem with my linksys system. MS
    Anitspyware is loaded on my wired system. Couldn't sonnect
    to the network with my wireless computer. Spent 3 hours on
    phone with linksys tech support. Bought new adapter for
    card.. didn't work. Bought new router.. didn't work. I had
    uninstalled everything from firewall to antivirus on
    wireless. Tried all options on security to no avail. Could
    always see network just couldn't connect to it. Finally
    turned off Antispyware on wired machine.. bam, everything
    hooked up. Turned antispyware back on. Lost connection
    again. Turned it back off, wireless hooked back up. Not
    sure exactly what it is but antispyware is clamping down
    the routers network. Hope this might help you.

    trace89371, Mar 19, 2005
  6. This isn't normal--i.e. it is a bug of some sort, and perhaps specific to a
    given install. You might try an update install:

    control panel. add or remove programs, Microsoft Antispyware, change,
    update.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 19, 2005
  7. Ed H.

    Ed H. Guest

    Just tried the "netsh int ip reset" command, looks like
    it did what it was supposed to do base on the log, but no
    change in symptoms. Still can not connect. Any other
    possibilities?

    Thanks.

    Ed H.

    Ed H., Mar 19, 2005
  8. Ed H.

    Ed H. Guest

    I do have a Linksys router-I loaded MSAS on the infected
    machine (the one that connects via wireless) first and
    cleaned it up. I can not recall the exact time frame but
    I was pleased with MSAS and loaded it on my main machine
    that has the cable modem-perhaps when I did that or
    shortly after I lost the wireless connection.

    If I understand you correctly, you secured MSAS on the
    wired machined and you could then connect with the
    wireless machine. I will give that a shot. Thanks very
    much.

    IRT updating MSAS, are we proposing updating the MSAS on
    all networked machines or on the one that can not connect-
    my "network" only has two machines, one on the wireless?

    Thanks very much for you alls help.

    Ed H.

    Ed H., Mar 19, 2005
  9. Ed H.

    Ed H. Guest

    Well, I disabled first and then removed completely MSAS
    from my wired machine and no joy. I do notice now that
    on the wired machine when I attempt to repair the Local
    Area Connection and the 1394 Connection, both of which
    indicate "enabled, bridged", I receive:
    "TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot
    proceed."

    This does not seem right. Is it possible the problem
    lies on the wired machine and not on the machine that
    connects via the wireless router? I am pretty confident I
    do not have a hardware problem but this is starting to
    bug me. All of the suggested fixes I have been
    performing on the wireless machine, perhaps they should
    be performed on the wired machine that also had MSAS
    loaded?

    Thanks.

    wrote

    Ed H., Mar 19, 2005
  10. Have you re-run the network setup wizard on both machines?

    If I'm remembering right, you've got a wired machine which uses Internet
    Connection sharing to share the Internet connection with your wireless
    machine?

    I take it there's an access point involved? Or is there a router involved,
    with one machine wired, and the other wireless?

    Re-running the network setup wizard would be worth doing on both machines in
    either case, but especially when ICS is involved--this can be difficult to
    troubleshoot with just two machines involved--you don't know which is
    broken--perhaps both!

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 19, 2005
  11. Ed H.

    Ed H. Guest

    Thanks to all for the help. I do not know if there was
    in fact any problem with MSAS or their were multiple
    problems. After running all the LSP and TCP/IP solutions
    suggested in this string, and thinking about what Bill
    was saying about the chance there may be an issue on my
    ICS machine and anonymous saying he had a problem with
    his LINKSYS wireless router, I attempted to access my
    wireless router's IP address and could not connect-AH HA!

    Performed an on-off reset (powered down and then plugged
    it back in), and bingo, everything is up and running
    normal. Wife gets her computer back for internet and my
    blood pressure is restored to back to its coffee induced
    normal.

    I am inclined to think there never was a problem with
    MSAS. I will reload MSAS on my ICS machine and see if I
    loose connectivity with my LINKSYS router. If I do, I
    will post it in this string. If not, you all have heard
    the last from me.

    Thanks again for the assistance.

    Regards,
    ED H.

    Ed H., Mar 20, 2005
  12. Thanks for letting us know--this is the difficulty of troubleshooting a very
    small network--you don't have a multitude of users all telling you they
    can't see the router.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 20, 2005