Losing Network Credentials

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Gary, May 3, 2009.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I have a network with a SBS2000 server, and a NAS. The username and
    passwords are duplicated on each device.
    I have several XP workstations that will lose their network credentials to
    the NAS mapped drives after some period of inactivity ( not consistent). The
    mapped drives to the domain do not have a problem.

    The only difference in the problem computers from the good computers are
    their NICs (Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx), the good ones use Intel . All NICs are
    integrated on the motherboard and use DHCP. All computers as setup as
    members of a domain.

    I have tried the following with no success:
    - turned off any power savings feature
    - replaced the NIC with an Intel Pro1000/GT
    - unmapped and remapped the shares

    A temporary solution is to have the users lock and unlock their computers
    (Ctrl-Alt-Del) when they notice the problem (very slow response). Something
    gets refreshed when you do this, and the problems are fixed temporarily.

    Any help is appreciated... Gary

    Gary, May 3, 2009

  2. Gary <> wrote:
    > I have a network with a SBS2000 server, and a NAS. The username and
    > passwords are duplicated on each device.
    > I have several XP workstations that will lose their network
    > credentials to the NAS mapped drives after some period of inactivity
    > ( not consistent). The mapped drives to the domain do not have a
    > problem.
    > The only difference in the problem computers from the good computers
    > are their NICs (Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx), the good ones use Intel .
    > All NICs are integrated on the motherboard and use DHCP. All
    > computers as setup as members of a domain.
    >
    > I have tried the following with no success:
    > - turned off any power savings feature
    > - replaced the NIC with an Intel Pro1000/GT
    > - unmapped and remapped the shares
    >
    > A temporary solution is to have the users lock and unlock their
    > computers (Ctrl-Alt-Del) when they notice the problem (very slow
    > response). Something gets refreshed when you do this, and the
    > problems are fixed temporarily.
    > Any help is appreciated... Gary

    Event log errors?

    If you have the option to trade in this NAS for one that can participate in
    AD, I'd do that. Much much much easier to manage security - and your users
    will be able to change their own passwords!

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], May 3, 2009