Losing Display

Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks my display has gone off to be replaced with the message "no signal input" while the program or app continued to run. After many re-installs and changed configs with video cards, bios checks etc etc. I discovered through using ASUS PC Probe that the CPU core voltage has been dropping from the required 1.40v to 1.20v just prior to the display going off.
Is that likely to be the cause and is it a problem with the motherboard or the processor? (Both expensive, and I am reluctant to replace the wrong one, if any).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to the forums

It is more probable the Power Supply, I would at least check that first, they do deteriorate over time.

A bit more info on what you actually have inside the PC would help, including what graphics card you are using.

user.gif

Reaction score
Re:

Seeing how you have already had your PC opened already check the top of the filters on the motherboard.These are usually cylindrical with for eg.(6.3vdc 22uf) type information written on the vinyl covering of the filter or otherwise known as electrolytic capacitors "CAPS" for short.The tops of the caps should be flat.Any rise that is visible indicates that the cap is defective.If the video signal still goes flat after you change the power supply and all the motherboard caps appear to be good the problem may be the result of a leaky cmos memory battery.Purchase a can of motherboard cleaning solution and using that and a small paint brush clean the motherboard.Also remove all the cards and put a proven video card in the slot.Only supply the computer with the nessesary hardware to run to see if it may be a problem in the perifiral circuits.If you do have a raised cap you will have to find a professional to repair the problem.

Reaction score
Hi,
Firstly, thanks for the reply.

I tended to discount the PSU as a source of the problem because of the intermittent nature, I might run for days without loss of display or it might go in hours or less.

The problem occurs for no particular reason. I might run Flight Sim X without a hitch and the display may go off just surfing, it's completely unpredictable.

My system is as follows:

Motherboard; ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE (AM2 Form)
Processor; AMD 64X2 4600+
Memory 2x 1gig DDR2 667 PC5300
Video CArds 2x XpertVision Nvidia 7600GT PCI-E 256MB
HDD; Seagate SATA 120 GB
Power Supply; Hiper Type M 580W
Antec P180 Case with 4 additional fans.
Plus all the other usual bits & pieces.

I have run with one video card installed, with both and with SLI enabled and disabled, the result has inevitably been the same...display goes off and I have to remove the power to shut down and then re-connect and reboot.

It's bit of a mystery and not a problem I care to solve simply by throwing money at it.

Your opinion will be appreciated.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... voltage has been dropping from the required 1.40v to 1.20v
That is a PSU problem.

... display goes off and I have to remove the power to shut down and then re-connect and reboot.
That is a PSU problem.

... and not a problem I care to solve simply by throwing money at it.
Then don't ... any good tech would first replace the PSU with a known good working PSU ... I wasn't suggesting you throw money away, I was merely giving my opinion. ;)

Beg, borrow or naw, no stealing, a good PSU and try it. If I'm wrong, great, I don't mind being wrong. :)

:user:

Reaction score
Re:

Remember to get back to us on this one after you have tried another power supply!

Reaction score
Most certainly, it would be discourteous not to. Sadly they don't come cheap any more. As it happens the damn thing has run for two days without a hitch after weeks of playing up.

Regards,

Dave.

Ask a Question