Look who popped in for a visit...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
He's right, he's right!! :nod: Also, foods such as sunflower-hearts, kibbled peanuts, etc., are a tad more expensive, but everything is eaten and there is no mess or husks to clear up.

muckshifter said:
... woodpeckers especially love 'fat-balls' and will spend a lot of time visiting you if you drill a few big holes in a big bit o' wood and fill 'em with fat.

We do that here, and they love it, but guess what, a beady-eyed Magpie spotted the woodpeckers' activities, so he occasionally visits the holes to inspect them too :p You would probably get loads of entertainment if you decide to get some feeders Flopps :thumb:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I quite like starlings myself but not really in those large numbers.

I'd have to say that i'd much prefer tits...
laughingsmiley.gif

Surprised no one beat me to that one :p but in large numbers i'd probably be frightened too, probably

Zzzzz

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Um, I've just realised :blush:

That large population of birds I mentioned outside our local Asdas aren't starlings, they're thrushes. Oops :blush:

I shall have a look in B & Q; Homebase & Makros to see what bird feeders they offer or possibly just nick ideas to make one or two.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
My brother has feeders out all the time and gets blue tits, great tits, longtailed tits, greenfinches, chaffinches, nuthatches and I've seen three woodpeckers all at the same time.

He also has a regular sparrowhawk which has realised that there is an endless supply of prey.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Another visitor......

Seems the birds like my conservatory for some reason:

1246536386.jpg

A Greenfinch paid a visit this time...had to throw a towel over it and take it outside again :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh, how cute is that :D and I see he was even kind enough to leave a little "deposit" too :lol:

Reaction score
I have housemartins in the eaves of my house and we were all set to paint the front and get new windows in and replace the fascia boards and guttering until i went out and spottedthem looking out of their little house.
Apparently they are a protected species and we cant evict them. We can remove the nest when they are gone which wont be til end of september....they make right little mess and they are only tiny little things...
Oh well i just have to wait till they're gone i suppose.
Zzzzz

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Glad you appreciate our "wildlife" Zed, yep they is an 'Amber' status ... you can always replace their nest with a man-made alternative ... after the birds have gone and you done your repires that is. :thumb:

Ady, got any "day-trips" to see the wildlife organised yet? ;)

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Glad you appreciate our "wildlife" Zed, yep they is an 'Amber' status ... you can always replace their nest with a man-made alternative ... after the birds have gone and you done your repires that is. :thumb:

user.gif

I Have just been told that even though i remove the nest this year they will still be back next year....they have been coming to my roof for over 10 years now so they "own" the roof LOL....they're lovely little birds but the mess is driving me crazy....i have that read that i need to erect a small platform directly under their penthouse to catch their droppings that i can empty every year after they migrate.....would you the believe the DSPCA(dublin)
said there is actually legislation covering this....you live and learn i guess.
Zzzzz

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Oh, how cute is that :D and I see he was even kind enough to leave a little "deposit" too
laughingsmiley.gif
Yep - let a few more 'gifts' nearby too :D

mucks said:
Not yet - but if they keep on invading I will have to start locking them in and tucking them into bed at night
laughingsmiley.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The only wildlife that we get through the windows is spiders! I'll do you a swap Ady? :D

Ask a Question