logon logoff loop (maybe a virus?)

Reaction score
Hi,

Any help gratefully appreciated. My home desktop has I think been infected. Windows XP boots up fine but then when we try and log on it immediately automatically logs off. :confused:

I can access files on the machine through my wireless network - but a scan turned nothing up. Booting from CD doesn't seem to help. :mad:

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Emma

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you boot safely in Safe Mode? (F8 on startup)

Reaction score
It boots fine - but I can't then log in (it starts and appears to be loading my personal settings but then immediately logs off again).

Reaction score
I just fixed a similar problem on server 2003 where you would try to logon and it would auto logoff right back to the welcome screen. In my case the userinit.exe file was gone from c:\windows\system32 & the registry entry. Caused by win32 tenga virus or the removal of it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

Was changed to just userinit.exe

In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

The only way I could fix it was by networking the computers and copying the userinit.exe file from another machine….You can also edit the registry from another machine by running regedit and selecting (file) then (select network registry) and typing in the computer name of the machine your trying to fix. If you can get to a command prompt then you could do it from the local machine with a floppy. I didn’t have that luxury.

Reaction score
had the same problem and had to get windows reinstalled

anyway did you try clicking "start windows with last good configuration"?(holf f8 on boot)

Reaction score
Thanks digimind vbmenu_register("postmenu_7009928", true); !! That is exactly what I found. I did as you requested and the computer is working correctly again. Good Job!

Reaction score
my dns server has a problem what do i do it wont let me log in.
skadaddle said:
Thanks digimind vbmenu_register("postmenu_7009928", true); !! That is exactly what I found. I did as you requested and the computer is working correctly again. Good Job!

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]what does it mean when your computer says cannot find dns server and I cant log in and I cant shop on cetain sites.

Ask a Question