Windows XP Locking the PC...

Reaction score
Hi all,

What does "locking the pc" do?

ie. if i leave my PC downloading a file from the internet, and pressed Ctrl + alt + delete, and hit "lock computer" will it do the same as log off, or will the download continue,

Or what?

Thanks,

KGB

Reaction score
i think u can only lock your computer if u got a password on your account. but thats a good question there i have always wondered. about.....................

1 question.......... why would u want to lock your pc? got something to hide then!?:)

Reaction score
You can lock it without a password... But when it says user: & pass: just click "OK" and it will load up!

Not MUCH to hide! - I just don't want my brother to com in, go on my MSN and talk to my mates saying it is me, read all my emails, post things on this site, and do all the other stuff that the password is saved for, so i wan't it locked!

I think it will continue to do what you were doing, like downloading, while it is locked.

If you wan't to lock a PC, you must dissable the "welcome screen" (do this in user accounts, CP)

KGB

Reaction score
locking windows does exactly what it says on the tin.

windows will carry on in the background, it just stops unauthorised access while your away.

If you wan't to lock a PC, you must dissable the "welcome screen" (do this in user accounts, CP)
This is incorrect, you can lock a windows xp computer whichever logon options are selected.

TIP: If your using win XP try holding the windows key (flag) and L (shortcut for locking)

Reaction score
either WINDOWS KEY and L or CTRL + ALT + DEL then on task manager select SHUTDOWN then LOCK COMPUTER

WINDOWS KEY + L is defo easiest

Reaction score
OK, i actually find Ctrl + alt + delete much easyer (ctrl + alt + del, then "enter")

Maybe because i have pressd that key combination too often for my liking!

Reaction score
I always press windows + L at college, when i leave my computer unattended so people cant spam emails from my account or change stuff...

its good.

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
You can lock it without a password... But when it says user: & pass: just click "OK" and it will load up!

Not MUCH to hide! - I just don't want my brother to com in, go on my MSN and talk to my mates saying it is me, read all my emails, post things on this site, and do all the other stuff that the password is saved for, so i wan't it locked!

I think it will continue to do what you were doing, like downloading, while it is locked.

KGB

yes it is a good idea! thanks.

Reaction score
WinKey + L works for Win XP and Ctrl + Alt + Delete + Enter works for Win 2000. Just clarifying!

KGB-911 said:
OK, i actually find Ctrl + alt + delete much easyer (ctrl + alt + del, then "enter")

Maybe because i have pressd that key combination too often for my liking!

Reaction score
just to add.... we all have to use cntrl+alt+del to lock pcs at work... too many people around and too much important stuff on scree.... so yea all it does if stop anyone from accessing or even view what the pc is doing.

Also to LOCK the pc... I like to put a password in the BIOS. That way they can't even try the safe mode trick or even waste time trying to hack windows.

Ask a Question