Locked up Intel PRO/100 VE

G

I have an IBM Thinkpad with an Intel PRO/100 VE LAN adapter. It currently appears to be working properly on a LAN that is configured properly but it will not exchange TCP/IP traffic on the LAN. Please see my post "LAN connect failure after Windows XP re-install" of 6/11/2004 for details on that.

On Intel's site there is a note that this adapter may show just these symptoms - apparently operational with no diagnostics but "locked up" - if it is physically installed while power is applied to the connector. Their suggestion was to unpower the machine, remove the adapter, re-power the machine, unpower the machine and then re-install the adapter.

This was NOT the situation with my machine - the adapter is built in and has never been touched - but I did remove all power (including the battery) to swap out a hard disk. Before that LAN operation was perfect. Now it is non-operational although the LAN adapter shows "connected" with no sign of problem in XP's Network Connections.

Has anyone seen similar behavior? Is there any way to "reset" this adapter without physically removing it?

G

Problem resolved as due to a bad LAN adapter. An odd problem - see the post referenced above for details on this.

Ask a Question