Locked out of my own computer by stupidity! Help?

What-a-Tool

Updated my Win ME to XP Pro quite a while back.
Had 4 logins - my 2 kids as limited users so they couldn't install or make
system changes, and I had 2 accounts registered under ControlPanel/Users as
Administrators accounts.

Messed around in Start/Run - "control userpasswords2" . Saw that the 2
accounts I thought were administrator accounts were registered as "Other -
Debuggers", I believe it was.
So I changed them to Administrators accounts and hit apply.
Was told my settings wouldn't go into effect until I logged out, so I did.
My login screen came up, and niether of my administrator accounts was on it,
only the kids 2 limited accounts appeared there.
Was able to get into either account by CTRL-ALT-DEL and typing in
Username/password, and discovered that these accounts are now both guest
accounts. So now I have 2 guest accounts and 2 limited accounts, and no
administrator accounts, and I am effectively locked out of my computer.
If I try Start/Run - "control userpasswords2" again, I get a password
request for Username "Administrator", which is an account I haven't had on
my computer since I ran ME. Tried every password I have ever used, to no
avail. CAN'T GET RIGHTS TO CHANGE ACCOUNT TYPES BACK.

PLEASE HELP!!??

--

/ Sean the Mc /

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Total Exterminator

What-a-Tool said:
[...]

Jim Macklin

Reboot and press F8 before Windows boots, press ctrl/alt/del
on the boot menu screen and enter Administrator as the login
to use...if you remember one of your previous accounts you
could try them.

"What-a-Tool" <[email protected]>
wrote in message | Updated my Win ME to XP Pro quite a while back.
| Had 4 logins - my 2 kids as limited users so they couldn't
install or make
| system changes, and I had 2 accounts registered under
ControlPanel/Users as
| Administrators accounts.
|
| Messed around in Start/Run - "control userpasswords2" .
Saw that the 2
| accounts I thought were administrator accounts were
registered as "Other -
| Debuggers", I believe it was.
| So I changed them to Administrators accounts and hit
apply.
| Was told my settings wouldn't go into effect until I
logged out, so I did.
| My login screen came up, and niether of my administrator
accounts was on it,
| only the kids 2 limited accounts appeared there.
| Was able to get into either account by CTRL-ALT-DEL and
typing in
| Username/password, and discovered that these accounts are
now both guest
| accounts. So now I have 2 guest accounts and 2 limited
accounts, and no
| administrator accounts, and I am effectively locked out of
my computer.
| If I try Start/Run - "control userpasswords2" again, I get
a password
| request for Username "Administrator", which is an account
I haven't had on
| my computer since I ran ME. Tried every password I have
ever used, to no
| avail. CAN'T GET RIGHTS TO CHANGE ACCOUNT TYPES BACK.
|
| PLEASE HELP!!??
|
| --
|
| / Sean the Mc /
|

| "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't
work."
| - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Phil \(purplehaz\)

Every xp install has a hidden administrator account, so you do have that
account and could try to use it to fix things, but I think the easiest thing
to do a just do a system restore to a time before you made the bad changes.

What-a-Tool

I can't do a system restore because none of the accounts that I can get into
have sufficient rights to do a system restore.
Is there a default password that the hidden Administrator account uses so I
can get into it?

--

/ Sean the Mc /

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

What-a-Tool

I have no problem getting into any of my existing accounts, but they are all
limited or guest accounts.

I need to get into the administrators account. As far as I know I never had
an administrators account unless it is a hidden one.

I am given the option to log in to the administrators account, but because I
never set one up, I don't know the password.

Once again, I'm locked out unless I can change an account type or log into
this hidden Administrators account.

--

/ Sean the Mc /

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Phil \(purplehaz\)

Boot to safe mode. Log in as administrator. The default password if you
never set one is just leave it blank.... hit enter.
If you can't get in the hidden admin account because you don't know the
password try here:
www.lostpassword.com