Local security policy database problem

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a system problem or something else.

I have an old HP pavilion laptop running XP. Several months ago, the date and time became unaccessable to the administrative user. I get the message "You do not have the proper privilege level to change the system time"

I scanned for viruses and malware and searched the internet, trying to figure out the problem. Several sources pointed towards a corrupted secedit file.

When trying to access the local security settings, I get the following error and a system freeze.

"The Group Policy security settings that apply to this
machine could not be determined. The error returned when trying to receive
these settings from the local security policy database
(%windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb) was: The parameter is incorrect.
All local security settings will be displayed, but no indication will be
given as to whether or not a give security setting is defined by Group
Policy. Any local security settings modified through this user Interface may
subsequently be overwritten by domain -level policies."

I have tried this fix
1. Open the %SystemRoot%\Security folder, create a new folder, and then name it "OldSecurity".

2. Move all of the files ending in .log from the %SystemRoot%\Security folder to the OldSecurity folder.

3. Find the Secedit.sdb file in the %SystemRoot%\Security\Database folder, and then rename this file to "Secedit.old".

4. Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.

5. Click Console, click Add/Remove Snap-in, and then add the Security and Configuration snap-in.

6. Right-click Security and Configuration and Analysis, and then click Open Database.

7. Browse to the %SystemRoot%\Security\Database folder, type Secedit.sdb in the File name box, and then click Open.

8. When you are prompted to import a template, click Setup Security.inf, and then click Open.

but when I try to open or analyze the database, the process starts then freezes.

I have also tried using the esentutl tool, but no matter what suffix or file I specify, the command prompt screen briefly opens then closes. No message, nothing.

I have been able to use the machine as is except that I cannot update windows or install or uninstall any programs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ask a Question