Hi. I have Windows XP and IE SP2. Homepage is MSN. When I open IE, I get a
blank screen and "Object moved here" message. Clicking on the "here" does
bring me to my homepage. Additionally, I now have "this page cannot be
displayed" on the ad banners on my home page and others sporadically. I
typically run AdAware and Spybot. Recently removed Trojan.VundoB. Have
posted to AUMHA Hijack this logs with much success. Computer is now clean.
What's going on and how do I fix this? Thanks

Hi. I don't know what you mean. I have Norton running which has a firewall.
Is that what you are referring to? How do I check a HOSTS file? What do I
do next? I went to the url you listed but can't figure out if a HOSTS file
is desirable or not. Thanks

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
The missing banners suggests that a HOSTS file or third-party
security/privacy program is blocking content.

Are you running a HOSTS file? http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Do you have a program running that might be blocking scripts, scripting,
active content?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Patgro" wrote in message
Hi. I have Windows XP and IE SP2. Homepage is MSN. When I open IE, I get a
blank screen and "Object moved here" message. Clicking on the "here" does
bring me to my homepage. Additionally, I now have "this page cannot be
displayed" on the ad banners on my home page and others sporadically. I
typically run AdAware and Spybot. Recently removed Trojan.VundoB. Have
posted to AUMHA Hijack this logs with much success. Computer is now clean.
What's going on and how do I fix this? Thanks

PLG

C A Upsdell

Patgro said:
Hi. I don't know what you mean. I have Norton running which has a firewall.
Is that what you are referring to? How do I check a HOSTS file? What do I
do next? I went to the url you listed but can't figure out if a HOSTS file
is desirable or not. Thanks

Norton can block images whose sizes are the same as standard ad images.

Don Varnau

Hi,
For a list of some of the programs that can block images, go to
http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/redx.htm Look fot this section
"Additional information from Mike Burgess:
Are you using a Firewall or "filtering software"?"

Yes, Norton Internet Security could be blocking some images.
- - - -
HOSTS File: Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is not hiding
file
extensions for known file types (folder options> view) then check for a
HOSTS file at
[WinXP]
[C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If there
are any redirect entries in it you can put the pound sign (#) in front an
entry to disable that redirect. Or you can rename the HOSTS file to (for
example)
HOSTS.OLD
More on the HOSTS file at http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/
An entry like
127.0.0.1 www3.bannerspace.com
will prevent that banner ad from loading. IE will look for it on the local
machine (127.0.0.1) rather than connecting to the remote server.
- - - -
For the homepage "Object moved" message. You might try resetting the
homepage from Internet Options> General.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don Varnau

Hi Patgro,
I've seen the HijackThis log at
http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=13233&highlight= It looks clean.

The banners/ads aren't being blocked by a HOSTS file.

Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons and disable Symantec AdBlocking. See if
that's your problem. If it can't be disabled from there, look around in the
Symantec Security Center for a way to disable it.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Patgro" wrote in message

Don: Good news! I read the latest post on Aumha.net after I left my last
Hijack this log. The problem WAS a hosts file error. I did this: I went to
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ and renamed the file hosts to oldhosts. Banner
problem gone! Thanks so much. Not being a computer person (only a lowly
mom) I didn't know the two sites connect but it's reassuring. Have a great
day!

--
PLG