List box or another alternative

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Getting Started' started by forest8, Jan 24, 2010.

  1. forest8

    forest8 Guest

    Hi

    I need to create a form but don't know whether I should use a multi-select
    list box or something else. In essence, I want to create a log of all
    meetings with students in a case managemnet setting.

    What i need to do is create a form in which the responses are based on
    multiple criteria.

    I have a database which involves case management of students.

    For communication methods: I have telephone, cell, email, face to face,
    group meetings, facebook.

    I am also tracking the following:
    Physical Observations which includes threatening postures/gestures,
    hostility, argumentative, etc. [12 characteristics overall]
    Emotional/Mental Conditions which include speech patterns, incoherent,
    confusion, changing subjects, suspicious of others, etc. [16 characteristics
    overall]
    Physical Appearance such as lack of personal hygiene, malnourished, signs of
    drug use, lack of care of appearance, etc. [16 characteristics overall]
    Topics discussed: Goals, Addictions, Parenting, Mental Health, Education,
    etc. [12 issues overall]

    If I chose a Yes/No field, this would result in a table of 50 fields. If I
    did a multi-select list box, I've read that making queries with this data
    could become problematic.

    I would also need to create a report that would provide me with all the
    details of all meetings with a particular student by date.

    I'm not sure of how I should be setting this up.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    forest8, Jan 24, 2010

  2. On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:07:01 -0800, forest8
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I need to create a form but don't know whether I should use a multi-select
    >list box or something else. In essence, I want to create a log of all
    >meetings with students in a case managemnet setting.

    The Form is irrelevant to this question. The Form does not control the
    relationships between the data. That's the job of the Table, and the table's
    relationships. Whether you display that data in a Subform, a Multiselect
    listbox, or some other way is a presentation style decision, not a data
    modeling decision.

    >What i need to do is create a form in which the responses are based on
    >multiple criteria.
    >
    >I have a database which involves case management of students.
    >
    >For communication methods: I have telephone, cell, email, face to face,
    >group meetings, facebook.
    >
    >I am also tracking the following:
    >Physical Observations which includes threatening postures/gestures,
    >hostility, argumentative, etc. [12 characteristics overall]
    >Emotional/Mental Conditions which include speech patterns, incoherent,
    >confusion, changing subjects, suspicious of others, etc. [16 characteristics
    >overall]
    >Physical Appearance such as lack of personal hygiene, malnourished, signs of
    >drug use, lack of care of appearance, etc. [16 characteristics overall]
    >Topics discussed: Goals, Addictions, Parenting, Mental Health, Education,
    >etc. [12 issues overall]
    >
    >If I chose a Yes/No field, this would result in a table of 50 fields. If I
    >did a multi-select list box, I've read that making queries with this data
    >could become problematic.
    >
    >I would also need to create a report that would provide me with all the
    >details of all meetings with a particular student by date.
    >
    >I'm not sure of how I should be setting this up.

    You have at least two many to many relationships: each Student can be involved
    in many instances of Communication; and you'll use (say) face to face
    encounters with many Students. So you need an Encounters table with a field
    for the StudentID, as a link to a table of Students; and a ModeID, with a link
    to a table of communication methods. Similar principles will apply to the
    other issues.

    Get the table relationships first... and THEN worry about how to display them
    on a form! You'll use several subforms, I'm sure!
    --

    John W. Vinson [MVP]

    John W. Vinson, Jan 24, 2010

  3. forest8

    Steve Guest

    To expand on what John said, consider these tables ......
    TblStudent
    StudentID
    FirstName
    LastName