Linux

Reaction score
Channel: Windows (related terms: linux distributions, systems, monolithic)
spacer.gif
imp.gif

Earlier, I reflected upon Microsoft's "software bloat" which has been driving the computer industry to develop improved hardware at a rapid pace

And the trend has no end in sight.

So what about the computer systems of yester-year? Will they continue to suffice when Microsoft Windows Vista is released the second-half of 2006?

Perhaps; perhaps not.

So the question becomes: is it worth upgrading the current system or buy new? Should you decide the latter, what will you do with the computer that's sitting on your desk?

To help put things into perspective, consider this:

As Windows, Linux has gone through upgrades and redesign through its inception. The key difference, however, is that the latest release of Linux will still work on that old '486 processor-based system you pushed into the corner years ago. Memory concerns? The latest release of Linux runs on 128MB of memory just fine. There are virtually no slowdowns and Linux is (and always will be) highly productive.

So why is that, you ask? It all has to do with how the operating systems were developed. Windows was (and still is) developed from a monolithic approach. That is: bits and pieces of the operating system are not built to work independently. For example: hundreds of software engineers work on developing Windows file system support, its threading, and other features that are assembled into one, massive whole.

As a result, beta testing MS Windows has become a nightmare and eradication of bugs is a full time job. But what's worse is that the consumer pays dearly for all of this in the end. We get the 'end' result of a monolithic design, except it never really is "the end." There always seem to be a sudden rash of critical updates, viruses alerts and malware threats, as MS Windows is exploited time and time again.

Unlike Windows, Linux does not suffer from these problems. The kernel is separate from everything else, and that's because Linux is modular in design (rather than monolithic). Integration problems are therefore minimized because established software interface standards are already in place.

So, to put it all together: each piece of a Linux system is independent of the rest of the system. In Windows, each part of the system depends on all the other parts. And like a house of cards: if one part fails, the whole thing collapses (as we see often with the 'Blue Screen of Death'). In Linux, if one part fails, the rest of the system keeps running and the failed process is restarted automatically.

The big question, though, is: "how hard is Linux to operate?"

There are major differences between Linux and Windows in this respect. Linux can certainly be challenging to administer, but there are dozens of web sites that offer well documented "how to's", and the process of administration is becoming more automated as time passes.

The biggest problem users face when choosing a Linux distribution is not the "how to do this", but "which Linux to get." And that's because there are well over a thousand different distributions of Linux out there.

So, are you itching to try Linux out for yourself?

Go to your closet, storage shed, basement -- or wherever you have stuffed your last "outdated" computer -- drag it out, dust it off, plug it in, and say, "Hello, old friend!" Install a copy of Linux and start learning about the other side of computing.

In an effort to help you decide which Linux is right for you, many distributions are available as "Live CD" systems. A "Live CD" does not install anything onto the computer and operates completely off the disc. Mind you, it's a lot slower to operate because everything runs from CD, but it will give you a good idea as to what the operating system looks like before you actually install it on your computer.

So why not try a few Linux distributions? Go hunting and find the one that best fits your needs. We, at Infopackets, have our favorites and I am sure, wherever you live, there is a group of Linux users that will happily extol the virtues of their favorite, too.

Remember: computing is supposed to be fun, so -- for Heaven's sake HAVE FUN!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Preaching to the converted here ... ;)

Mr B, where did you get that "post" from ... we need a link so I can gloat. :D

Reaction score
be that as it may

i can't change from windows until software developers make games for it.

muckshifter

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
be that as it may

i can't change from windows until software developers make games for it.
There are hundreds of 'games' for Linux ... if you read the post again, fully, you'll see it aimed at putting some "fun" back into computing, especially with and "older PC" ... you know, the "Fun" stuff like "Work" without re-installing every month. ;)

Wanna fight? ... then don't pick one you can't win ........ :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
thanks for posting that, w.bishop, it is, of course, the truth :)

I've only recently started to seriously use a Linux Distro, I went with Suse 10 as lots of other forum members here and there had recommended it.

As it's aimed mostly at Corporate users and didn't want to invite lawsuits, getting the distro to run some media applications was a bit of a task but there's lots of help out there on the net (thanks, Mucks, for the pointers, amongst other guys).

I've tried Mandriva 2006 as well, but much prefer Suse.

I'm still coming to terms with it, mostly everythng is easy (Open Office to replace MS Office, Gimp to replace Photoshop) but there are still some things I can do in Windows that I'm looking for a solution for in Linux.

And one of those things is playing Games. I won't entertain WINE or other simulators, seems little point, this is Linux, not Windows.

I'd agree with PotGuy actually Mucks. I want to play the latest games, and until the Linux guys supply an answer or the Games developers wake up to the fact that more and more gamers want to use Linux, I'll hang on to my Windows XP system.

I can actually play UT2004 within Suse, it runs better than within Windows and on a lesser graphics card too, but UT2004 is an exception to the rule.

One BIG thing to mention though. Linux Distros are free, constantly being upgraded and you don't get no finger wagging and rules and regulations like Billy Boy Gates puts on you.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I can actually play UT2004 within Suse, it runs better than within Windows and on a lesser graphics card too, but UT2004 is an exception to the rule.
... and why is that?

You and I both know the answer ... ;)

I'm not saying Linux is a Games platform ... hell go and get a playstation or whatever ... just that it can be, nay, is, a good alternative to Windows or Mac ... actually a Mac is more Linux than Linux.

The "point" is you CAN use an OS, free, that works, and keeps working on and on and on, well supported Like Suse by a reptable company, and enjoy your computer.

It works on a 486 128mb ram 10gig HD ... try that with XP :p

Linux is NOT Windows ... it is not trying to be Windows ... Linux does what Linux does best ... it just works. :D

Go to your closet, storage shed, basement -- or wherever you have stuffed your last "outdated" computer -- drag it out, dust it off, plug it in, and say, "Hello, old friend!" Install a copy of Linux and start learning about the other side of computing.

* advert over ... *

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mucks, you're right, I agree with you.

But - I don't wanna buy a Playstation or X-Box, Games, imo, are SO much better on a PC, especially online.

And so, like Potguy, I'm not yet fully converted.

One day, and I don't think it's so far away, Games developers will make their games multi-OS compatible.

Games, even older ones, incidentally, cost a whole lot more for The Apple-Mac version (where there is a version available), so Apple enthusiasts suffer as well. It hasn't stopped the sale of Macs though, has it?

And Linux is free.

Ask a Question