"Linux Sucks"

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Flopps,

Points #1 and #4 are discussed in the video (and pretty much everywhere).

About points #2 (and, subsequently, #3):
A user will have to use text commands if s/he installs programs [games, usually] from source [i.e. "distribution tailored" packages are not available], if s/he wants to have the latest 3D ATi/Nvidia driver from the manufacturer's pages, if s/he has a poorly supported wireless card, web camera etc... but that's pretty much it.

It's strange that people just don't think anything's any good unless they've paid for it.
A few years ago, a Finnish city [Turku] was considering "going penguin". When the "relevant" trade unions discovered that OpenOffice is free, they attacked the employer [city] for cheapskating... not because any actual issues with the program but simply because it was free. Go figure.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Urmas said:
Flopps,

Points #1 and #4 are discussed in the video (and pretty much everywhere).

About points #2 (and, subsequently, #3):
A user will have to use text commands if s/he installs programs [games, usually] from source [i.e. "distribution tailored" packages are not available], if s/he wants to have the latest 3D ATi/Nvidia driver from the manufacturer's pages, if s/he has a poorly supported wireless card, web camera etc... but that's pretty much it.

A few years ago, a Finnish city [Turku] was considering "going penguin". When the "relevant" trade unions discovered that OpenOffice is free, they attacked the employer [city] for cheapskating... not because any actual issues with the program but simply because it was free. Go figure.

All that you say is true but to my mind it doesn't deviate from the fact that the reasons I give for people not using Linux are more relevant than the idea it's a herd mentality causing people to shy away from Linux.

The plain truth is that at this stage in Linux's development, it's hard work.

Ok, it's free, so that balances the equation - maybe.

But for those prepared to go the extra mile and make the effort it can be very satisfying indeed.

Let's see now, let's take Win Vista Ultimate; Latest Photoshop and MS Full office - average total cost about £1K.

Linux Distro; Open Office; Gimp - £0.00.

Which brings me back to point 4) - people seem to like paying for stuff :confused:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
All that you say is true but to my mind it doesn't deviate from the fact that the reasons I give for people not using Linux are more relevant than the idea it's a herd mentality causing people to shy away from Linux.
No disagreement there. But the herd mentality does exist as well.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question