linux question

Reaction score
I am so sick of these heated linux debates......ahhhh :(
Linux users seem to have something negative to say about windows every shot they can get, it makes no difference wheather they are out at dinner with friends.
Linux users have this "sieze the moment" mentality , anyone who mentions windows gets shut down in one fowl swoop.
If you guys were so confident in yourselves and in linux why tell anyone who will listen how wonderful it is? :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oi, are you courting controversy here?

Are you being mischievous?

You naughty person you.

I like Windows and Linux and one day I may even try a Mac.

It's all fun :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
pcgeek said:
I am so sick of these heated linux debates......ahhhh :(
Linux users seem to have something negative to say about windows every shot they can get, it makes no difference wheather they are out at dinner with friends.
Linux users have this "sieze the moment" mentality , anyone who mentions windows gets shut down in one fowl swoop.
If you guys were so confident in yourselves and in linux why tell anyone who will listen how wonderful it is? :p

I don't belive that my recent walthroughs slate windows. :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I really like Linux, but I couldn't switch to it full time yet. I know a few people here love it and use it as the main OS, but the lack of some common applications I use puts me off.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
It's all fun :)

Ooh yes.
happywave.gif

Reaction score
MS Windows/Vista = £££££$$$$$
Linux = FREE

Hmmmmm so what’s better then?
Keeping the Microsoft dream of world pc domination true?
OR
Open Source, which we all share in the development for the good of the Linux Community?

Perhaps your just after a good old fashion argument.

Laptop in Curry's & Tesco's selling for £199 to £248 depending on HDD size.

How can they do it?

Well they don't pay ££££ for a Microsoft Licence, they use open source Linux.
No MS Office, instead they use Open Office, which of course saves ££££.

Perhaps you’re a MS re-seller who suddenly see's the Microsoft dream is a bit shaky

Your not sitting on it at the moment, your talking out of it!!!!

Reaction score
A Foot Note

I use Microsoft at the moment but use Linux Live or Linux within VMWare etc.
Next PC will have Linux on it as it will save £££.

Reaction score
I use Microsoft, but Linux has bailed me out a good few times when Microsoft has gone t*ts up...Oh and when my Mac has gone t*ts up...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Use Windows for everyday and Gaming Rig, use Ubuntu Hardy (Linux) on me Media Center just for watching films and odd internet in bed.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well just to check the news or weather, i dont really surf the internet.

I only really use about 10 sites and thats it.

Reaction score
Thanks :) I understand that some people think that due to the factor that Linux is older than windows, some people may perceive this as Linux being more mature than windows. Also I do know that Linux is claimed to have a "flawless design" but that is only according to Linux users.

So I have been reading up on some of the advantages and disadvantages http://www.rtcubed.com/consulting/linux-advantages-disadvantages.html. And what intrests me is for Linux users there are MORE ADVANTAGES and for Windows users there are MORE DISADVANTAGES so it is sooo completely relative in my opinion.

I don't like Linux that much and this is what I think : http://hotpcgeek.wordpress.com/2008/11/05/linux-is-not-my-thingmaybe-it-is-yours/

Either way being free is cool but has so many pros and cons to that factor 2!
what do you guys think?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Without reading those links, here's how I see it.

Adavantages:

1) Most decent distros more stable than most MS OS's (Although I have to admit, for all it's disadvantages, Vista has easily been the most stable MS OS I've known).
2) Much less prone to viruses, trojans and adware (though not immune).
3) It's free.
4) Most software is free, including Open Office & The Gimp.
5) Recent distros with user friendly GUI's make things almost as easy as Windows.
6) Improved geek factor amongst peers.

Disadvantages:

1) There will come a time when you absolutely have to learn console commands (although, back in the day, this didn't stop people learning MS's DOS).
2) Majority of computer games will not work within Linux (although lots will run in WINE, within Linux, which is free software).
3) Lack of Linux support for many peripherals (although HP are on the case for their scanners and printers, mostly)
4) Some hardware not supported.
5) Steeper learning curve than Windows.
6) If you mess it up, you really mess it up, lol
7) Poor support for ATI video cards from ATI.
8) There seems to be a trend amongst more recent distros for the compiler to introduce their own little quirks, straying away from original Linux Console commands. Ubuntu seems to be the worst offender here.

And that, off the top of me head, is what I can think of. I haven't bought Apple's OS into the equation as I've never used an Apple Mac.

Now let's go look at those links...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
pcgeek said:
Thanks :) I understand that some people think that due to the factor that Linux is older than windows, some people may perceive this as Linux being more mature than windows. Also I do know that Linux is claimed to have a "flawless design" but that is only according to Linux users.

So I have been reading up on some of the advantages and disadvantages http://www.rtcubed.com/consulting/linux-advantages-disadvantages.html. And what intrests me is for Linux users there are MORE ADVANTAGES and for Windows users there are MORE DISADVANTAGES so it is sooo completely relative in my opinion.

I don't like Linux that much and this is what I think : http://hotpcgeek.wordpress.com/2008/11/05/linux-is-not-my-thingmaybe-it-is-yours/

Either way being free is cool but has so many pros and cons to that factor 2!
what do you guys think?

Your first link is dated 2004 so it is very much out of date and hardly relevant to the current Linux v Windows debate.

If you tried some of the modern distros you may be able to give a current and well informed opinion.

"I don’t know there are just loads of disadvantages to linux, I mean I understand it is free and blardy blar but to me that kind of represents cheap ass open source junkies. I prefer to pay for quality any day."

Your quote above had me in stiches I have not laughed so much for ages. I presumed that you were refering to Windows as "Quality". rofl.

laughingsmiley.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
MOST of the hassle - "Linux hassle" - is due to poorly supported/unsupported hardware, closed codecs not being preinstalled (think U.S. legislation) AND PLAIN MS "PRACTICAL JOKES":

One of the puters I've Linuxified is - mostly - used by a 10-year-old girl. Last week her dad (an old friend of mine) called and said she wants Messenger - "all" her friends are using it. OK, not my thing, but a quick Ubuntu forum search says that Pidgin (preinstalled) can do MSN, ditto for aMSN and Emesene. Ah yes, says my friend... but - using Linux - how does one create an account?

A trip to enemy territory (MSN - *ugh* - pages): the "advertised" procedure is to first download/install MSN/Windows Live/Whteveritsname Messenger and then create an account with it. No can do with the above replacements. Took me some Googling to find the page where you can register (aka get Windows Live Hotmail ID) using a net browser. In order to be able to give advice, I registered, verified that the darn thing actually worked with aMSN and Emesene... it did. Fine. Problem solved.

Yesterday I got a call from my friend. He told me - laughing his arse off - that while the messenger thingy works perfectly, he'd tried to use the webmail. operative word TRIED. OK... I logged in... got a warning of NOT having an up-to-date browser (BULLS*IT). I Was able to proceed, though... chose "New Message"... filled in recipient info, message title... COULDN'T COMPOSE THE MESSAGE. The composing window was grayed out.

icon_mf.gif

OK... another Ubuntu Forum search: this is a user agent practical joke. This is the default info Ubuntu's Firefox sends:
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; fi-FI; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092510 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.3

Linux? Ubuntu? Muhahahahahaha says MicroShaft. No worries, though: install the User Agent Switcher extension ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59 ), get a good User Agent List import file for User Agent Switcher ( http://www1.qainsight.net:8080/ct.ashx? ... 070304.xml )... and, now fully armed, hit the MicroShaft HotChair Baloney pages WITH YOUR FIREFOX CAMOUFLAGED AS "Firefox 2.0 (Win XP)":
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0
And whaddayaknow: everything works.

Nice work ONCE AGAIN, MicroDweebs!
icon_mf.gif

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well done that man. :D

So will the Linux/Messenger thingy be safer to use than the MS/Messenger ?

happywave.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Well done that man. :D

So will the Linux/Messenger thingy be safer to use than the MS/Messenger ?

happywave.gif

Er... when it comes to Linux and virii out there AT THE PRESENT, that's a silly question; you can not infect your Linux box with anything of consequence [for Linux].

If you mean, "I'm using Windows; should I use M$ Messenger or one of the alternatives?"... dunno, but my gut feeling is that the alternatives get less unwanted attention.

Finally: the only way to run M$ Messenger in a Linux box is "through" Wine or Crossover. I consider that to be a last ditch option... especially since aMSN and Emesene work just fine.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Er... when it comes to Linux and virii out there AT THE PRESENT, that's a silly question; you can not infect your Linux box with anything of consequence [for Linux].

Thats the thought I wanted folk to see.

I do not use Messenger, but your linux options sound the biz if anyone wanted to run that type of software.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question