LINKSYS BEFW11S4 Security problem

Reaction score
I am trying to secure my wireless network and I am having a problem. I have changed the SSID from LINKSYS to my own. I have configured the wireless PCI card to look for my SSID. It finds it, connects, and I am to the internet with no problems. If I change the router to nor broadcast, I stop working. When I look it the WLAN Monitor, I see the card connecting to my SSID followed by an immediate disconnect followed by another connect. This continues - connect - disconnect - connect - etc. If I go back to the router and broadcast the SSID, all works again. The WLAN monitor shows me connected to my SSID.
Here are two more tidbits of interest. There are two more unsecured wireless networks in the neighbothood. I found this by having the Monitor show available wireless networks. The SSIDs are NETGEAR and LINKSYS. I would assume that the LINKSYS is using channel 6. Would this interfere with me? The burning question is - why would not broadcastin my SSID cause my connection to fail? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Ask a Question