Link External Tables NOT using Drive letter

Reaction score
We currently have a mix of networked databases that link tables between each other. This worked fine until one group of users were forced to map their drives using a different letter.

The result is that whilst all the users that use the narrative R:\All Staff\Table work fine those that have opened the database with their drive mapped as K: open the database fine but when they try to open a table that is linked via R: they get the inevitable message stating they cant access as their R: drive is obviusly mapped to a different share.

So, the question.

Is there a way to link a table by excluding the drive letter and instead specify the whole share?

eg

Instead of R:\All Staff\table

can I put

\\SERVERNAME\SHARE\All Staff\table

this way the drive letter problem is overcome. We do not use SQL Server we are a straight forward Acces 2003 ADO site but do use VBA extensively so I am hoping I can do some form of automatic link when the databasde opens rather than the manual LINK , GET EXTERNAL DATA route that we currently use. Help!!

Ask a Question