limewire crashed my computer

Reaction score
acer travelmate 2410... ok the problem is this, i downloaded limewire and downloaded a few files from it, problem is my computer crashed when i tried opeing an .exe file and now when my computer loads up all i get is my background picture and the taskbar. The taskbar is missing both the start menu and the taskbar icons also it is flashing vigourously...

when trying to load up in safe mode the script gets so far then stops, showing

'...system32\DRIVERS\agpCPQ.sys'

i have alot of pictures on there which i havn't backed up :(. more sentimental than anything else but i don't wanna lose them, if possible...

i have a backup disc so i can reboot my computer but i would like not to have to....

thx, repro

Reaction score
there's a lesson for you then, isn't there? :p

the first thing i would try is rolling back a few days

Reaction score
i can't access anything, normal windows won't let me do anything just shows me a blank taskbar which flashes and background and safe mode won't run...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Am almost tempted to make this one a sticky.

To download a file with an .exe extension from a thinly disguised warez and piracy site and then open that file is, erm, well, it's, uh - unwise.

Normally, we'll have no talk of Limewire here cos it's basically illegal, and others here may lock/delete the thread, but imo this foo need help, so let's see, shall we?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
While Limewire is not illegal it is associated with warez and piracy downloads ...

Me, I'm just laughing ... sorry, but we do hope you have learned a lesson.

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take it as read you were ignorant of the fact.

The bast way to "back-up" your pictures is to use a Live Linux CD such as in Knoppix, providing you have a writer.

Boot to CD, you may have to alter the BIOS to do that, Linux will start up but can be quite slow as it will be running off your CD/DVD drive. Find the program KIIIB (K three B) and back-up your pictures ... reformat your HD when done.

If, on the other hand, you turn out to be one of these stupid kids that think they know everything ... then you'll do yourself no favours staying on this forum. ;)

... no, I don't mince my words, I have no time these days for, err, well we'll just leave it at that.

Reaction score
have a backup disc so i can reboot my computer but i would like not to have to....

What a mistaka to maka?
It seems you have little alternative but to reinstall. If what mucks has suggested won`t work.

muckshifter

Reaction score
:D I just noticed ...

"Repromanded"

... good choice.
nod.gif

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
thx for the advice muckshifter i hiope it works

muckshifter said:
If, on the other hand, you turn out to be one of these stupid kids that think they know everything ... then you'll do yourself no favours staying on this forum. ;)

i know very little, hence why i used the forum... :p

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
LMAO, theres always one that thinks its safe

well seeing as you cant do anything your only option is to get a bootable OS save all your pics to a USB drive then format the HD

Reaction score
Opening an unknown .exe file :eek:
Sorry, but makes me want to :lol:
Repromanded hope you have learnt a very important lesson, dont open unknown .exe files!!!!

Reaction score
Rush said:
Excuse me Murdoch

How many Castlemaine 4.exe.did you open Saturday night (lol)

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

I may have to put this matter in the hands of my solicitor's B.Odgit & S.Cram ;)

Reaction score
finally got the linux thing on my comp... is there anyway i can save them cos i don't have another writer for my laptop :(

muckshifter

Reaction score
A Linux "Live" CD will make a virtual drive using either or both your ram & HD ... just take the CD out and back-up your data

Providing you are using Knoppix Linux that is ... that is what it was designed to do. ;)

Reaction score
hmmm... i am using knoppix but my comp won't let me eject the disc by pressing the eject button... any ideas

p.s. thanks so much for your help :)

Reaction score
anothewr msg i got 'unmount: /cdrom is not in the fstab (and you are not root) please check the disk is entered correctly'

Last edited:
Reaction score
Repromanded said:
anothewr msg i got 'unmount: /cdrom is not in the fstab (and you are not root) please check the dik is entered correctly'

Whats a Dik???:lol: :lol: Oh I get it, it goes with Ummmmm.......:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
OK ok ... can we please have a little more decorum here. :rolleyes:

I'm sure 'Repromanded' is more than aware of the 'problems' caused by Limewire ... can we cool it now with the micky taking.

Thank you. :)

Ask a Question