Windows XP "Learn About" files missing from User Accounts

Reaction score
XP Pro SP3

I've lost/deleted files that one sees under the 'Learn About' options on the User Accounts page, eg
? User accounts
? User account types
? Switching users

I have a backup to restore files from (don't want to restore whole OS) and another computer to copy files from but don't know their location.

This is what it should look like
UserAccounts.jpg

but I see the outline of the 'page' with a blank inside.
UserAccounts2.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, I've never heard of that utility before. Failing at first hurdle though. SFC keeps asking for XP SP3 disc but won't won't accept my XP install disc, and won't accept the SP3 disk I've just downloaded and burned from Microsoft. Having a think about it

Reaction score
not been able to run sfc. Tried various things to get round the request for SP3 disk to no avail.

Tried uninstalling sp3 but failed because there is a ntuninstall directory missing

so, no progress

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It could be that you need to Slipstream SP3 in to your XP CD, which takes one further step. That should give you the SP3 installation disk that you are after :)

Here is a guide that explains how to do it:

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html

Reaction score
Thanks Ian - I should've known you can always rely on a fellow 'Manc'

I look at doing that last night (read about slipstreaming elsewhere), but somehow ran into trouble with a corrupted system file that just could not be defeated. It was one changed during the uninstall of SP3.

Up shot was, after hours of messing around, unable to get into windows, I decided that sleep was the better part of system restore, so I left it restoring from the factory (as new) backup, and here I am now after just setting up the basics - network, wireless etc

Sadly, all the backups went so have to start from scratch with apps. Not to worry, the system should be as clean as it ever was now!

One thing puzzling me. The DVD writer on this machine installs as if it was a USB connection even though its an internal. Have you or any other readers come across that? I thought it was something that had occured during use, but its like that in the factory defaults.

Its an lenovo R61 Thinkpad and the dvd is a Mashita UJ860. I was wondering if it was something to do with the software that allows drag n drop on the DVD? Uninstalling the drive means it can't be seen at all, and attempts at reinstalling it result in it being installed as USB complete with the "safely remove hardware" option in the tray

Thanks for your efforts above. Pity I was forced to take more drastic action

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well that certainly is one way to fix the issue ;) It is often quite refreshing to start from a clean install though, so no doubt your PC will feel zippier!

I'm not sure why the DVD drive is detected as a USB device, although it may just be that you need some updated drivers. The Lenovo site contains all the ones you should need, so it may be worth checking out:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67856.html

Try letting Windows Update fully patch itself before updating with any of those drivers, as it may resolve itself :)

Reaction score
yes, a reinstall is sometimes good.... but happens at worst time

I couldn't find drivers for this drive - it seems anonymous. I'd only looked at the Lenovo site, the one you link is new to me, I'll have a look tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

The drive has a v annoying habit of rattling when the laptop boots. It seems there's firmware to fix it, but I can't install it when its seen as USB, so sorting it out has become a mission, not only to stop the noise but to ensure it runs properly.

Ask a Question