league table without macros

gdh82

it's not actually hidden (although it can be) - its just a few columns
over to the right on the table worksheet, just scroll across until you
find it...

:eek: Sorry about that (v. embarassing!)

As for the hidden table, I'm impressed by how consise it is (so much
less convoluted than the world cup spreadsheets I've seen. There's a
number of functions I'll need to look up to help me understand it (!)
but for now could I ask what the adg score represents ? Thanks again.

gdh82

I still haven't got it, but I have just posted a first-cut at

http://www.xldynamic.com/example code/xld.league_table_sans_vba.xls

Fantastic - its works a dream on the pcs at work (that is soo good to
see!) :) I've got a couple of thoughts of possible tweaks, if I may.
The main one is to ask if its possible to includea separate worksheet
containing the teamlist (akin to daddylonglegs' table) so the user can
easily add/delete/rename teams? Many thanks again. Garry

Bob Phillips

I'll take a look at that. It's a good idea to manage the teams, better than
my suggestion.

What are the others?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

daddylonglegs

gdh82 said:
:eek: Sorry about that (v. embarassing!)

As for the hidden table, I'm impressed by how consise it is (so much
less convoluted than the world cup spreadsheets I've seen). There's a
number of functions that I haven't used before so I'll need to look
them up to help me understand it (!) but for now could I ask what the
adg score represents ? Thanks again.

Hi gdh, I'm sure Bob can produce something rather superior to mine but
to answer your question....

"Adg score" should really be "adj score" meaning "adjusted score".
Basically the number of points is adjusted by a very small amount based
on goal difference or goals scored which ensures that when there is a
tie on points the team with the best goal difference has a slightly
higher "adj score" and is therefore ranked higher.

Similarly if both points and goal difference are equal then the team
with the most goals scored will have a slightly higher "adj score"
ensuring, again, that the correct team is ranked higher.

Bob Phillips

I use a points, goal difference, goals scored, row algorithm to ensure
unique ranking in mine.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"daddylonglegs" <[email protected]>

gdh82

"Adg score" should really be "adj score" meaning "adjusted score"
Basically the number of points is adjusted by a very small amount base
on goal difference or goals scored which ensures that when there is
tie on points the team with the best goal difference has a slightl
higher "adj score" and is therefore ranked higher.

Thanks for explaining that, daddylonglegs. IMO that's a really origina
way around the problem - I would never have thought of approaching i
like that in a million years! ;) My eyes are being opened...:cool

gdh82

Bob said:
I'll take a look at that. It's a good idea to manage the teams, bette
than my suggestion.

What are the others?

My only other suggestions concern the layout of the table so I gues
this is only my particular preferences and others may disagree.

For my purposes I've been using your league table for about 6-1
players which reduces the size of the fixture grid considerably so I'
like to have the table on the same page as the fixtures. Ideally thi
need only be the 'overall & pts' columns of the table. This is simpl
a practical issue when printing off a hardcopy for the offic
noticeboard.

I also think the table would look better if it could have alternatin
shaded backgrounds for each of rows - just to guide the eye.

The table worksheet has the default orientation as portrait rather tha
landscape, by the way.

Finally I did tend to find that with the macro version of th
spreadsheet I'd get run-time errors occasionally after added/deletin
teams and once the errors had started I generally would have to resor
to an earlier version of the spreadsheet. I guess, though, this won'
be an issue with the non-macro version?

Hope I'm not sounding too picky - just take this as constructiv
feedback - as I'm already very impressed with your excellen
spreadsheet and am grateful of your willingness to help. Garr

Bob Phillips

Garry,

What I could do is to put the table and the results on the same page, in
separate windows, and the user could then close the second window if they
didn't want it, or it is a small table. The teams table would be separate
though still.

The line shading should be easy with CF, and I will set to landscape.

As for the VBA version, you don't know the sequence of events that caused by
any chance, I would like to fix it.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

gdh82

Bob said:
What I could do is to put the table and the results on the same page
separate windows, and the user could then close the second window i
the
didn't want it, or it is a small table. The teams table would b
separat
though still

As for the VBA version, you don't know the sequence of events tha
caused b
any chance, I would like to fix it

Thanks again or the further post, Bob. Sounds good to me- would i
possible to print the two separate windows as one page of hardcopy ?

As a very basic workaround on the VBA version I'd simply added a fe
'=' operators to the right of the fixture grid that linked to th
relevant cells in the table worksheet. This then gave me the table o
the same worksheet as the fixture grid

I'm afraid I don't know the exact sequence but I think it was
combination of adding the table to the fixture worksheet an
adding/deleting teams that caused the run-time errors. Perhaps I wa
putting the table in a place where the fixtures overlapped ? Sorry
can't be more sure than that

Cheer
Garr

gdh82

Hi Bob,

I know its only been a week since the last post and its really
brilliant that you're looking into this at all, but I just wanted to
follow this up and ask how the spreadsheet was going?

Hope I didn't sound too pedantic about the layout issues as really they
are secondary. The only key thing (I think) that needs to be added to
the non-macro version is a tab that can used to add/delete teams.

Look forward to your next post on the subject.:)
Thanks again
Garry

Jon23

Hey good work lads but i have a question. I tried finding the 'hidden'
table by scrolling right but couldn't find it, and can anyone tell me
how to use the 'adj score'?

Thanks in advance

gdh82

Jon23 said:
I tried finding the 'hidden' table by scrolling right but couldn't find
it, and can anyone tell me how to use the 'adj score'?

Hi Jon23,

To find the 'hidden table' make sure you're on the 'table' tab and
scroll right and its just off screen. The 'adj score' is the clever
idea by daddylonglegs and his explanation of it is:
"Adg score" should really be "adj score" meaning "adjusted score".
Basically the number of points is adjusted by a very small amount based
on goal difference or goals scored which ensures that when there is a
tie on points the team with the best goal difference has a slightly
higher "adj score" and is therefore ranked higher.

I've actually got a question myself too - for you Jon23, daddylonglegs
or bob phillips or anyone else that might be able to help ?

I really like the ease with which I can add and delete teams using
daddylonglegs' spreadsheet - there's simply a 'teamlist' tab where
teams can be added and deleted - its so elegant! *I would like to
take this feature and add it to bob phillips' spreadsheet (which
displays the fixtures in a grid) - could anyone help me in trying to do
this ammendment ?*

Any help with this would be much appreciated...

Cheers
Garry

Jon23

I still can't find it and I scrolled all the way over lol

Thanks about adj score, but what I meant to ask was how do I use it in
a formulae

gdh82

Jon23 said:
I still can't find it and I scrolled all the way over lol

Thanks about adj score, but what I meant to ask was how do I use it in
a formulae

Are u using the spreadsheet leaguetable.xls (405K) with four tabs:
instructions, teamlist, fixtures and table ? Daddlylonglegs emailed it
to me. If you haven't then you won't be able to find the hidden table
;) but just pm me if you haven't.