Laserjet III driver: Poor Graphics

jtl

I did some Googleing and see that HP didn't release a decent graphics driver
for the HP III (and other LJs) for XP. Graphics now use a butt-ugly dither
no matter what settings you use. BUT...I could swear I used to print
graphics just fine in XP.? Perhaps a service pack broke it (or more likely
crippled it on purpose), or maybe it was when I was still using XP-Home?

If someone has XP-HOME would you email the HP LJ driver to me. I want to
swap out some files to try to get it to work again. (My versions are
5.1.2600.0 as listed on the Printer Test Page).
UNIDRV.DLL
PCL5ERES.DLL
UNIRES.DLL
STDNAMES.GPD

Or, let me know how to extract these from a XP-Home CD.

Thx,
(e-mail address removed)
remome NO SPAM from the addy

Ben McDonald [MSFT]

Have you investigated the different settings under
Advanced->DocumentOptions->Halftoning? Have you checked to ensure you are
still configured for 300x300DPI? Print Optimizations?

The only file you need to 'swap around' to check for differences is the
HPLJ3.GPD. the rest of the files are static, and shouldnt matter.

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

From: "jtl" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax
Subject: Laserjet III driver: Poor Graphics
I did some Googleing and see that HP didn't release a decent graphics driver
for the HP III (and other LJs) for XP. Graphics now use a butt-ugly dither
no matter what settings you use. BUT...I could swear I used to print
graphics just fine in XP.? Perhaps a service pack broke it (or more likely
crippled it on purpose), or maybe it was when I was still using XP-Home?

If someone has XP-HOME would you email the HP LJ driver to me. I want to
swap out some files to try to get it to work again. (My versions are
5.1.2600.0 as listed on the Printer Test Page).
UNIDRV.DLL
PCL5ERES.DLL
UNIRES.DLL
STDNAMES.GPD

Jake

Yes...tried every setting. There's a user's Forum on the HP website that
talks about this problem. I suspect HP did it to make the older LJ printers
obsolete.

Thanks for the tip on the file name.
jack