Largest data breach revealed - 773m email addresses and 21m passwords published

News Largest data breach revealed - 773m email addresses and 21m passwords published

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Becky submitted a new article:

Largest data breach revealed - 773m email addresses and 21m passwords published - 'Collection #1' is the largest data breach discovered to date

If you're not already using a password manager, now is certainly the time to make the change...

According to Troy Hunt, cybersecurity expert and man behind 'Have I Been Pwned?', the data breach comprises nearly 773 million unique email addresses and over 21 million unique passwords. The data totals more than 87GB across 12,000 separate files, and was reported to Hunt from a number of sources. The data...

Read more about this article...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Well, apparently, I haven't been Pwned but how can anyone know for sure?

I suppose the only answer is to change all the passwords (again) even though it's an absolute pain in the …….

:mad:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I had that email yesterday morning..... Meh not the first time I've been on one of those lists! :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is somebody trying to flog password manager software?

If this issue has creedence I wonder if it has anything to do with Ebay recently asking me to change my password and only allowing me to log in with a PIN they texted me.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Is somebody trying to flog password manager software?

If this issue has creedence I wonder if it has anything to do with Ebay recently asking me to change my password and only allowing me to log in with a PIN they texted me.

We use KeePass which is free, it's really good :nod:

Two-step verification is another sensible step, well worth doing IMO.

Reaction score
Both my main and secondary address's were on there. However I do change my passwords a lot so i'm not really worried. I'll just block the spam as per usual

Reaction score
In fact i have just received this

"Lets get directly to the point. No one has paid me to investigate about you. You may not know me and you're probably thinking why you are getting this email?

actually, i placed a software on the 18+ video clips (sex sites) web-site and do you know what, you visited this web site to have fun (you know what i mean). While you were watching video clips, your web browser started out functioning as a RDP that has a keylogger which provided me with accessibility to your display and web cam. after that, my software program gathered all your contacts from your Messenger, social networks, as well as email . Next i made a video. 1st part displays the video you were watching (you've got a good taste rofl), and second part displays the view of your cam, yeah it is you.

First choice is to just ignore this message. in this case, i will send your videotape to each of your your contacts and visualize regarding the shame that you receive. Furthermore should you be in an affair, precisely how it would affect?

Next choice will be to compensate me USD 979. i will describe it as a donation. in this instance, i most certainly will straightaway eliminate your video recording. You will keep going daily life like this never occurred and you surely will never hear back again from me.
You'll make the payment via Bi‌tco‌in (if you don't know this, search for 'how to buy b‌itcoi‌n' in Google search engine). B‌T‌C‌ ad‌dre‌ss to send to: 1ELzee2T9Wd5YPTYhWbWD3xK7xB5tJ94J4

if you may be planning on going to the law enforcement officials, okay, this mail can not be traced back to me. I have covered my steps. i am just not trying to charge a fee a lot, i just like to be paid. i've a%} specials if i don't receive the ‌bi‌tco‌in‌, i definitely will send out your video to all of your contacts including friends and family, coworkers, and so forth. However, if i receive the payment, i will erase the recording immediately. If you want proof, reply with Yes then i will certainly send out your video to your 13 contacts. This is the nonnegotiable offer therefore don't waste my time and yours by responding to this email message."

I don't own a webcam. Well not for many years lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
With in all above demands was my name and in between my name and the "OLD" password that I used to use was a load of other words which looked like names etc but foreign

The above text was layered between lots of other useless stuff. I just copied the above out of it to make it easier to read