    \LOCAL_MACHINE it will be more than adequate.

    Thank you for any knowledge any of you have of this (potentially) registry
    modification!

    Guest, Oct 18, 2006

    Alec S. Guest

    <RLR>; "PC" <RLR, > wrote in message news:D...
    > I am in need of finding the exact registry modifications necessary for
    > adjusting WindowsXP Professional's font size from default (normal) to Large
    > Fonts.
    >
    > Long story short, this is for a corporate internet kiosk I've made and I
    > know how to do this via Display properties - however what I *need* is a
    > registry edit explicitly.
    >
    > I would rather this be an HKEY\LOCAL_USER modification but if it's
    > \LOCAL_MACHINE it will be more than adequate.
    >
    > Thank you for any knowledge any of you have of this (potentially) registry modification!

    This is what the control panel applet changes:
    REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel]
    ;set to 96 (default)
    "OriginalDPI"=dword:00000060
    ;set to 120 (large)
    "OriginalDPI"=dword:00000078
    ;set to small (75%)
    "OriginalDPI"=dword:00000048
    ;set to huge (200%)
    "OriginalDPI"=dword:000000c0

    Here's another way:
    REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI]
    ;set to 96 (default)
    "LogPixels"=dword:00000060
    ;set to 120 (large)
    "LogPixels"=dword:00000078
    ;set to small (75%)
    "LogPixels"=dword:00000048
    ;set to huge (200%)
    "LogPixels"=dword:000000c0

    Unfortunately, both are system wide settings. Don't forget to reboot.

    --
    Alec S.
    news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

    Alec S., Oct 18, 2006

    >"Alec S." wrote:
    > This is what the control panel applet changes:
    > REGEDIT4
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel]
    > ;set to 96 (default)
    > "OriginalDPI"=dword:00000060
    > ;set to 120 (large)
    > "OriginalDPI"=dword:00000078
    > ;set to small (75%)
    > "OriginalDPI"=dword:00000048
    > ;set to huge (200%)
    > "OriginalDPI"=dword:000000c0
    >
    > Here's another way:
    > REGEDIT4
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI]
    > ;set to 96 (default)
    > "LogPixels"=dword:00000060
    > ;set to 120 (large)
    > "LogPixels"=dword:00000078
    > ;set to small (75%)
    > "LogPixels"=dword:00000048
    > ;set to huge (200%)
    > "LogPixels"=dword:000000c0
    >

    > Unfortunately, both are system wide settings. Don't forget to reboot.
    >
    > --
    > Alec S.
    > news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

    Thank you Alec for the quick response!

    I see what you're saying, and I want to make sure I fully-understand...
    My understanding of how XP handles font sizes in Display>Appearance is that
    it is independant of a GPU:monitor DPI relationship. Is that not the case?
    ....because my DPI stays at 96DPI nomatter what I set the font size to...or is
    this DPI references you're noting NOT GPU:Monitor DPI settings?

    RLR, PC

    Guest, Oct 18, 2006

    Alec S. Guest

    <RLR>; "PC" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >"Alec S." wrote:
    > > This is what the control panel applet changes:
    > > .
    > > Here's another way:

    ..

    > > Unfortunately, both are system wide settings. Don't forget to reboot.
    > >

    > I see what you're saying, and I want to make sure I fully-understand...
    > My understanding of how XP handles font sizes in Display>Appearance is that
    > it is independant of a GPU:monitor DPI relationship. Is that not the case?
    > ...because my DPI stays at 96DPI nomatter what I set the font size to...or is
    > this DPI references you're noting NOT GPU:Monitor DPI settings?

    I can't actually test this right now because I keep getting an error when I try to change the system font size. However, if I
    remember correctly (it's been quite a while since I was last able to do so), what it does is to use the DPI as a sort of "font
    size". I'm not sure of the relationship, but it seems to map to point sizes. Try using the second method, does that affect
    anything?

    --
    Alec S.
    news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

    Alec S., Oct 18, 2006

    Alec S. Guest

    "Alec S." <@> wrote in message news:...
    > <RLR>; "PC" <> wrote
    > > I see what you're saying, and I want to make sure I fully-understand...
    > > My understanding of how XP handles font sizes in Display>Appearance is that
    > > it is independant of a GPU:monitor DPI relationship. Is that not the case?
    > > ...because my DPI stays at 96DPI nomatter what I set the font size to...or is
    > > this DPI references you're noting NOT GPU:Monitor DPI settings?

    > I can't actually test this right now because I keep getting an error when I
    > try to change the system font size. However, if I remember correctly (it's
    > been quite a while since I was last able to do so), what it does is to use
    > the DPI as a sort of "font size". I'm not sure of the relationship, but it
    > seems to map to point sizes. Try using the second method, does that affect anything?

    Great news! I fixed it (well, my problem at least.) I figured out why I was getting that error message and fixed it in a snap.

    The reason that it's great for you is that now that I can actually change the font size, I was able to trace the changes to the
    registry. Here are the four registry keys that the control panel applet modifies (in order):

    Set to tiny (72 DPI)
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x60
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x60
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x48
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x48

    Set to default (96 DPI)
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x60
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x60
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x60
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x60

    Set to large (120 DPI)
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78

    Set to huge (192 DPI)
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0xC0
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0xC0

    You'll notice that it seems to first set the default base size, then the specific selected size. Either way, you can ignore the
    OriginalDPI entry (which sounds like a logical thing to do), and use these two (together) instead—you said you wanted the "large"
    setting, so set them to DWORD 78, and don't forget to reboot:

    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels

    HTH

    --
    Alec S.
    news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

    Alec S., Oct 18, 2006
  6. If you are talking about the size choices found under 'Display Properties' -> 'Appearance' tab ->
    'Font Size', the associated registry value is named 'SizeName' and is found under:

    [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]

    It's a REG_SZ type, valid values are:

    NormalSize
    LargeFonts
    ExtraLargeFonts

    If you are talking about 'Display Properties' -> 'Settings' tab -> 'Advanced' button -> 'DPI
    setting', then Alec S. gave you the info you need.

    --
    Good Luck,

    Keith
    Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

    Keith Miller MVP, Oct 18, 2006

    I'm not ignoring you Alec, things got busy today. I will note in my Outlook
    to get back to this tomorrow.

    Guest, Oct 18, 2006

    Alec S. Guest

    <RLR>; "PC" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm not ignoring you Alec, things got busy today. I will note in my Outlook
    > to get back to this tomorrow.

    Sure no problem. I'll probably be able to give it a test tonight as well.

    --
    Alec S.
    news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

    Alec S., Oct 18, 2006

    >"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
    > If you are talking about the size choices found under 'Display Properties' -> 'Appearance' tab ->
    > 'Font Size', the associated registry value is named 'SizeName' and is found under:
    >
    > [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]
    >
    > It's a REG_SZ type, valid values are:
    >
    > NormalSize
    > LargeFonts
    > ExtraLargeFonts
    >
    > If you are talking about 'Display Properties' -> 'Settings' tab -> 'Advanced' button -> 'DPI
    > setting', then Alec S. gave you the info you need.
    >

    > --
    > Good Luck,
    >
    > Keith
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

    Thanks Keith, without yet testing either of these methods, this *sounds
    like* what I'm looking for.

    I appreciate everyone's input.

    Guest, Oct 19, 2006
  10. You're welcome.