Laptop will not stay shut down!! ;C

Reaction score
Hello!!

Maybe someone could help me with this issue on my dads laptop. He has a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 aith Windows Vista home 32 bit. When the laptop is shut down, it acts as though it was restarted and loops back on again, *UNLESS* the AC cord is unplugged from the computer. In that case, it stays shut down. So far we have been unplugging the computer before we shut it down. Is there a way out of this??? I called Toshiba and all they said was to install an upgrade for the BIOS but that's it. Someone else had this problem on a forum but their answer was to go into BIOS and disable "wake on LAN". This can't be it because the "Wake on LAN" on my dads BIOS is set to Disable already. Help please!

-Ryan

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Sounds like it is a restart or wake issue, check in the BIOS for other wake ons, usually mouse, keyboard and LAN, disable all these if not already.

The Toshiba guy doesn't sound very helpful, did he mention if it was a specific fault with that BIOS??? I think he means to flash the BIOS which means to install a newer version of the BIOS hopefully that doesn't have this bug.

If no joy in the BIOS settings then you can go into the control panel, from the start menu and select power options, see if there is anything in here that is isn't set correctly.

Good luck and update us on how you get on, there is a guy who roams on here called MadX he is v.good with laptops, hopefully he might appear and help.

Reaction score
I disabled all I could from the BIOS, but I still have the problem. thanks though waynos_face.

Reaction score
try this leave the battery in there turn on get into windows and drain the thing until the laptop hibernates itself. Normally around 0% these things will hibernate.

Does the same thing happen?

Reaction score
RyeWilson said:
Hello!!

Maybe someone could help me with this issue on my dads laptop. He has a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 aith Windows Vista home 32 bit. When the laptop is shut down, it acts as though it was restarted and loops back on again, *UNLESS* the AC cord is unplugged from the computer. In that case, it stays shut down. So far we have been unplugging the computer before we shut it down. Is there a way out of this??? I called Toshiba and all they said was to install an upgrade for the BIOS but that's it. Someone else had this problem on a forum but their answer was to go into BIOS and disable "wake on LAN". This can't be it because the "Wake on LAN" on my dads BIOS is set to Disable already. Help please!

-Ryan

how can you unplug a laptop? What do you mean by that?

Okay take the battery out totally. Leave just the AC plugged in then turn on the laptop try shutting down and see if it really does shut down or restarts.

Have you tried another OS on there? Have you tried reinstalling the OS? Last resort.

If it doesn't do the same thing looks like you've narrowed it down to your battery.

Ask a Question