Laptop Sound Card Drivers Needed so badly!

Reaction score
oh its me again! suprise suprise

well i got this laptop its a compaq armada m700.

its not top of the range its quite old ive never had a laptop before so im fascniated about its mobility. its alrite im happy with it but apart from one thing.

there is no sound. i know i need to get sound drivers. when i go to device manager there is a yellow question mark next to "PCI Multimedia Audio Device"
Its obvious i need drivers. i am using windows 98, this is something i have not done for like 3 years!!! well i try to update the drivers, i do a search for it but the pc tells me there are no drivers. so i went on the internet searched for this laptop series, but i cant even get the name of the soundcard. im getting different specifications with their armada m700. i looked on the compaq website i downloaded the 'supposed drivers' but its just something else.

how can i find out the name of the soundcard and where can i get the drivers from?
any ideas? if u could do a search for me please and direct me in the righteous pathway to heaven i will be very grateful!

thanks a million

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Try Here. (User ID is 'drivers' and password is 'all' to save you registering, it's the same for all users, but this will prevent you getting spammed if you register).

And also: Here.

And lastly: Here.

They may not be of much help if you can't identify the drivers you're looking for, of course, but it's worth taking a look and having a search, especially the first one I've listed here, that's a good site.

Reaction score
thanks for that. but the problem now is how on earth im going to find out what sound card drivers i need for compaq armada m700

thats got to be missions

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
thanks for that. but the problem now is how on earth im going to find out what sound card drivers i need for compaq armada m700

thats got to be missions
Um, log in, then search for Compaq Armada m700 Sound drivers? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
nah tried that. just hoping for word of the mouth now. hope some1 has this laptop and knows wich soundcard is fitted!

ill wait and hope for now

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
CompCrap = Hewlet Crapard

... according to HP it's an ESS M2E

Try here ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
CompCrap = Hewlet Crapard

... according to HP it's an ESS M2E

Try here ;)

sir mucks that is a hillarous suggestion. you joker

i got those drivers thanks. i installed them. but my sound still dont work. if i go to control panel there is still that yellow mark there?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, it seems the "sound card" is, or could be, a "soundcard modem" hence the "2EM" (Maestro-2EM ES1978MS audio + ES56CVH-PI Modem (ES56CVH-PI)) ... Try here

Also Read This here
:rolleyes:

Reaction score
ummm still lot mate i got a global mini pci 56k modem. dont think that this has anything 2 do with sound though.

any suggestions?

Reaction score
just had a look on the site Sir Mucks thanks for that.

from the site:

"Double-click on ESS WDM Modem Enumerator (Windows 98SE/Me) or Modem (Windows 95/98, Windows 2000/XP) - write down the model of ESS Modem card
5. Write down driver version information from its Driver tab, Driver File Details (for filename ES56xxxx.SYS or ES56xxxx.VXD)"

but i do not appear to have a ESS WDM Modem Enumerator its a global modem.

Ask a Question